Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The New Rules of Lifting for the Abs" by Lou Shuler and Alwyn Cosgrove.

Pros:
Very well written with quite a bit of easy to follow information. I'd call it a semi-private approach to home fitness due to the fact that it isn't a generic cookie cutter approach. If you can't get a trainer, this is a great alternative.

It makes complete sense how they break down what real core strength training is and isn't. This includes a very detailed explanation of what muscles make up our core, what they do and how they should be trained. And no, crunches ISN'T one of the ways they recommend. A facet of the book that I like very much.

They lay out there three phases of building strength in a very detailed common sensed approach. It would be very difficult to not get stronger following their program. It safe enough for the "beginner beginner" exerciser to the most advanced athlete who needs to be constantly challenged. They have great variations/alternatives for all levels which is a definite plus.

If I was going to write a book, this would be a good format to model. There is also a Kindle edition for you e-book fans out there.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Is it all done with free weights? I recently ( last summer ) got a Bowlfex Ultimate 2 and would be very interested if it is possible using that. Interesting that when I started using it, although I was riding every day, I initially lost weight but now I have put on weight. Luckily not around that waist and need to loose at least 10 pounds.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its primarily bodyweight with the exercises. The fastest way to lose weight is with high intensity intervals on the bike, and metabolic circuits off of it. Much more effective than riding more.

We've seen this with a ton of the riders that we work with. Once we get them doing the high intensity work, the weight comes off pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Every time I see "high intensity", it reminds me of the Specialized High Intensity Training at the office...
:D Nice one. After 12 years here, I'm still having to go through that everyday.

Its primarily bodyweight with the exercises. The fastest way to lose weight is with high intensity intervals on the bike, and metabolic circuits off of it. Much more effective than riding more.

We've seen this with a ton of the riders that we work with. Once we get them doing the high intensity work, the weight comes off pretty quick.
Integrate, what do you recommend as far as intensity levels and interval/rest lengths for those interval workouts. I've recently been doing some work I saw in Bicycling that has me going near max for 3 minutes followed by 6 minutes of rest. http://www.bicycling.com/training-n...Bicycling-_-Content-Story-_-ultimate-interval

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
High Intensity for this 67 year old, :rolleyes: getting up in the morning :D

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D Nice one. After 12 years here, I'm still having to go through that everyday.

Integrate, what do you recommend as far as intensity levels and interval/rest lengths for those interval workouts. I've recently been doing some work I saw in Bicycling that has me going near max for 3 minutes followed by 6 minutes of rest. http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/ultimate-interval?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Story-_-ultimate-interval
The rest interval (RI) should match the effort. Anything from :15 secs to 3:00 mins should be 85%+ max effort. 3-5:00 about 80-85%, 5-10 mins 75-85%, 10+ should be 75% max effort.

We like 20:00 min hill repeats when building x 3 on the weekends, and 3-5:00 efforts twice during the week 6-8 times on a trainer or outdoors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts