Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing around with Opera Link | Your web, anywhere. and so far I like what I see. It seems faster on my laptop and it's MUCH faster on my Droid. I've played around with Firefox and Chrome but to get all my stuff on the laptop and phone this seem to be the ticket.

Anybody play around with this? What do you use?

·
Registered
360 Posts
been a linux user for 5-6 years use Firefox
Tried Opera on my windows machines but it had Problems.
I am told Opera has a reader that only goes with Windows and Mac
Oh and your bookmarks are saved to Operas Website should your PC crash

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used Ubuntu for a while and Wine wouldn't run a few things I wanted it to (and paid for was the big issue) ...I really do HATE windows and my next laptop WILL NOT run Windoze.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not good :(

Attachments

·
Most Unusual
149 Posts
I've been using Opera for a couple of years after firefox got bogged down on my old computer. I like it - doesn't have a lot of frills - which is fine. Have a new laptop but keep Opera on that now, boyfriend downloaded the new version of Firefox onto my laptop as he said they speeded it up, but I still haven't used it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer...

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
This PC is a Dell Dimension 2400 with increased bus speed 533FSB P4 2.4
Mint Linux dual booted with Ubuntu
Its one of my oldest PCs
I like to be lost in a sea of Dells:D:thumbsup: I only use one add on with Firefox:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Used Ubuntu for a while and Wine wouldn't run a few things I wanted it to (and paid for was the big issue) ...I really do HATE windows and my next laptop WILL NOT run Windoze.
Ubuntu is wicked sweet. Even a computer dunce like me can learn to run it. I couldn't run iTunes or Diablo II on it though and I can't live without them. The only Opera I've dealt with is the simple browser on my Nintindo DSi. Didn't care for it but the Nintindo DSi WiFi is slower than a retarded tree sloth so it's a bad comparison.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As someone who works in website/software development, typically websites are tested in IE, Firefox, and Chrome. In my opinion, it's best to just stick with one of them.
I agree and have used Chrome for a long time now. Just wanted something that...I could have mobile in the Driod platform and Laptop. FF was ok but the mobile version not so much. I'm finding some issues with Opera but the ease of having all my bookmarks and such is the easiest I have found. I used Chrome to phone and that's ok but...

I'm open to suggestions that work better to accomplish "mirroring" , if you will, my boolmarks and stuff from one platform to another.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use chrome and I like it when it works, but it doesn't really work well with slower machines. My computer is old and since I keep dumping my money into my bike I haven't gotten a new computer in like 6 years. So it's full of old papers and songs and crap that I haven't looked at in years. So as my computer is wading through all the useless information trying to load a webpage chrome eventually goes "aww snap what the he)) I give up this website must not exist." Then it gives me the whole "this website cannot be found" But I have seen it work on newer computers!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use chrome and I like it when it works, but it doesn't really work well with slower machines. My computer is old and since I keep dumping my money into my bike I haven't gotten a new computer in like 6 years. So it's full of old papers and songs and crap that I haven't looked at in years. So as my computer is wading through all the useless information trying to load a webpage chrome eventually goes "aww snap what the he)) I give up this website must not exist." Then it gives me the whole "this website cannot be found" But I have seen it work on newer computers!
Old PCs can find a new life with faster Processor speedS with bigger caches and more RAM
I like Firefox because I have been using it for years and as long as I dont overload it with Add ons and plug ins it goes good

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I just started using Chrome again and found this. It's supposed to be great for slower machines.

Put this in your addie bar: about:flags

Enable the following:

GPU compositing on all pages

GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D

Prerender from omnibox

Then hit the restart button at the bottom of the page.

You can do speed tests before and after to see what kind of difference it made here: Speed Test | Bandwidth | Broadband Internet Services

·
Registered
461 Posts
nicw bike pics... the harley with the rack is crazy, but awsome!

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Soooo tired of Chrome crashing and looking for fixes here latley. It has been dumped for Firefox this morning. Gonna take it for a test ride for a while and see how things go. I have found I'm not brand specific or dedicated/devoted. I just want something that works consistently and Chrome can't seem to do that anymore for me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Even though it has it's own issues, I keep coming back to Firefox as my main browser.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I've been using Safari for Windows and even though it has a few hiccups once in a while, it's better than Chrome, IE. Firefox has it's own set of problems, especially for web developers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts