Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I picked up an old Free spirit 26 in 10 speed road bike I LOVE IT but it needs some TLC and lots of WD-40
I shall post pics and more tomrrow when I've had time to play with it a bit but it is beauitful!!
sorry i've not been around but been busy
more later

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks now I just got the rear break loosend up so it might stop :)
any idea where to look to find out how old the bike actually is? it looks REALLY GOOD!! but not finding a lot about it on fb other than chances are it came from Sears and made by who knows
but wht i've read about if it came from sears it would be really heavy and it's not it's the lightest bike i've ever owned. I can pick it up and haul it around one one hand and no strain. compaired to my mountain bike is HUGE!!!!!
this will be my Boston bike and the mountian will be my Indiana bike.
ok back to working in it
wish me Luck :)

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's 10 speed maroon trimed in gold 26 inch every EVERty THING IS PERFECT other than one spot where the free sprit has pealed off the tires are NEW the wraps on the grips are perfect all the rubber caps are still on it from the kick stand to the screws under the seat. this bike was amazingly taken care of . the refelectors are perfect. the shifters are not broken off.

My phone died yesterday and tomorrow Ill get my new one then I'll take pictures and post them .. I'm excited!!!!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
ok so I picked up an old Free spirit 26 in 10 speed road bike I LOVE IT but it needs some TLC and lots of WD-40
I shall post pics and more tomrrow when I've had time to play with it a bit but it is beauitful!!
sorry i've not been around but been busy
more later
good luck with the restoration project. Then have some fun.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Can't wait to pics of your new bike. Doesn't sound like you have to do much other than a basic tune up and you'll be good to go.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IK have to get a new seat post for it as the one on it is in no way long enough how hard are they to find? and are they exensive? don't need fancy just need longer

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Couple of things Mom. WD 40 is not a lubricant but a solvent. Its great for getting rust off, but its not what you need to lubricate anything especially chains. That is what chain lube is for and they have totally different properties. By 10 speed, I am assuming 2 chain rings on the front and 5 in the back. Could you change out the back? With enough money you can do most anything. There are times I spent way more than I should have on a bike for one reason and one reason only. I wanted to and didn't attempt to justify it at all. I could afford it. Felt like I would enjoy my riding more so even though it made no sense to put X on that bike I did it anyway.

This is probably one of those times. With 26 inch wheels, you probably could but there is always a catch. The more modern bikes have wheels that are built for the number of gears that they plan to put on the bike. A wheel for a bike that has 9 gears on the bike wheel is different than a wheel that is designed to have 8. The 8 and 7 are usually the same wheel, but they do require a spacer to make things work right. You could change the wheel, but you are not done yet. The derailleur may or may not be compatible with the new rear gears. Not having seen it, I would guess it may not be. That means adding another part to the puzzle. Once you get those figured out, ever notice chains are marked for different number of gears in the back?? The spacing between the links are different.

Not done yet. Next is the shifters. They may or may not be compatible. If there is no markings for the specific gears on your shifter you might get away without this, but might not. The shifter may not be designed to move enough to cover the added hears in the back.

My advise would be to ride the tar out of it as it is and enjoy it. If you are in the want to do it anyway class, take it to your local pro bike wrench and let them look at it and see exactly what you are going to need for it all to work right when you are done. Get an estimate and see what its going to take, and the make an informed decision about what you want to do before you start out. And to answer your question you didn't ask, yes I have gotten into messes like this before and found out there was something I should have known at the start but by that time I was committed and had to finish it. lol

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All righty then i went to bikes not bombs in Boston today and got my new seat post it still isn't perfect yet but gettin close I am going to attempt posting pics here in a dew from my phone

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know its nothing special but its mine and the girl in me says oh I just love the color Haha picture is in my profile album

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks still gettin the seat correct went today ans saw the red bull cliff divers those guys are flat crazy lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts