Bought or Homegrown? Let's see!

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by Kurt, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Kurt

Kurt Guest

Tell us about your SS/Fixie. Homegrown, or did you buy it already done?
    Post some pictures and details!!

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I bought my most recent one as a frame and built it from there. Santa Cruz Chameleon frame with King wheels/headset and Fox Float 100. I like it but some dont. Lets see everyone else's!

Attached Files:

• 083.JPG
      083.JPG
      File size:
      125.9 KB
      Views:

3. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I got an old cannondale, black-lightning frame that dad had laying around(he runs a bike shop). I stripped it down, built up some surly hubs with some rims similar to velocity deep-v's and put a higher end chromoly fork on it. Still the stock crank wich is likely pretty heavy and run only a rear brake instead of the front like others do. I run it fixed some and on freewheel some. It's probably my favorite bike to ride most days, with the mountain bike in a close second to it.

[​IMG]

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I'd much rather build than buy. I posted up a few of my singlespeeds in the gallery. I've got a couple more, but haven't taken any pix of them yet.

5. yewhi

yewhi New Member

Built.

Custom frame and a decent parts selection. In retrospect, I probably would've gone with a different wheelset, but that can always be changed in due time. As long as the heart of the bike is good everything else is secondary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. BackBayBrewing

BackBayBrewing New Member

Here are some pictures of my fixed gear. I have posted them in a few other places in this forum so I apologize if they are duplicative.

I built this bike up when I was working as a mechanic at a shop in Boston. One of the customers came in with it after getting "doored. The door hit the down tube and chipped the frame... he thought it was cracked so he brought it in to buy a new frame and switch the parts over. I explained to him that the frame was fine, but he still wanted a new frame and gave me this one. So I built it up with a mix of parts. Old school campy pista crank, with a 54/18. It looks like I am pushing a monster gear, but with the 18 in the back I get a pretty standard gear ratio... however, I also get a really smooth ride and I don't think I will ever wear out those gears.

Anyway, here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Etta

Etta Guest

Nice bikes!

8. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

Bought but had to assemble some stuff myself:
    Qball 29er
    [​IMG]

Bought frame, built myself in 2006, and sold this Summer:
    Fetish Fixation
    [​IMG]

Homegrown (fixed commuter):
    Marin Stinson
    [​IMG]

Homegrowns (and sold):
    Cannondale
    [​IMG]

Bianchi Classica
    [​IMG]

Bridgestone MB-5
    [​IMG]

Raleigh Super Course MK-II
    [​IMG]

Fuji Dynamic 10
    [​IMG]

9. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Store bought, stock Raleigh Oneway. The opposite of a minimalist bike, Oneway is a cyclocross steel frame with high bottom bracket, canti brakes, fenders and 35c tires. The B17 saddle is great. About half the miles are fixed vs SS.

My winter bike but this summer I rode a 60 mile fundraiser in Vermont, 66 mile solo loop, 56 mile fundraiser in Boston and today a 36 mile rail trail, the last 4 miles rocky gravel that would give a mountain bike trouble.

Attached Files:

10. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Bought: Motobecane Messenger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built: 70's Bridgestone Kabuki Mixte for the Mrs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming soon: Kilo S3X! 3 speeds, all fixed gear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Mine is coming soon, and it will be a bit of both.

12. JohnGMcEneany

JohnGMcEneany Guest

Got mine on Ebay. All I changed was the fixed cog and pedals. Replaced it with a 12t and locking ring.

13. Industry_Hack

14. Industry_Hack

15. JohnGMcEneany

JohnGMcEneany Guest

From Crosslakes 2 years ago. Some of the components they use currently are different such as the chainring. I have had no problems with the bike, and I am a very large person as is my son who also rides it.

16. Industry_Hack

Doesn't look bad, except for the stem. I have no first hand experience with them, but was wary of the fact that their aluminum bike weighs about 4lbs more than my steel one.

As long as the ride is OK, and it holds up, I suppose there's not much to complain about, given the price.

17. JohnGMcEneany

JohnGMcEneany Guest

It weighs 20lbs. Feels like a feather compared to my original fixie from 1965.

18. Industry_Hack

Their current auction states 22lb, which seems a bit porky. I'd say 20 is respectable for a generic frame and components.

19. rustang64

rustang64 New Member