Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and received an electric battery assisted bike and would love to go riding. At present New York law prohibits the use of these very gentile bikes, just about every place but in my apartment! The law amending this is pending, at a snails pace. Does anyone have any information on the enforcement of the present law? Do the Police actually arrest you if you ride down the block with a battery assisting your disabled legs attempting to peddle?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Did you live in New York when you bought the electric battery assisted bike ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did. It is, in fact, the only way I could ride, as a combination of injuries prevent any effective pedaling. I know that a change in the law is being attempted. For years, I have seen many people riding this type bike everywhere!

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Yes, I did. It is, in fact, the only way I could ride, as a combination of injuries prevent any effective pedaling. I know that a change in the law is being attempted. For years, I have seen many people riding this type bike everywhere!
Is this what your basis for not riding the bike is ? NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions

Are you riding something like the Trek electric assist bikes
Ride+ | Technology | Trek Bikes

Seems you have quite a legal situation and I can see in N.Y. how that could be reason for your hesitation, my father in law lives in N.Y. Typical....caught up in terminology more than anything it seems. I would think, much like handicapped parking, there would be exceptions that would allow you to legally ride. Personally, I would ride.

From Treks website Ride+ | FAQs | Trek Bikes

·
Banned
613 Posts
New York State Ebikes

I just purchased and received an electric battery assisted bike and would love to go riding. At present New York law prohibits the use of these very gentile bikes, just about every place but in my apartment! The law amending this is pending, at a snails pace. Does anyone have any information on the enforcement of the present law? Do the Police actually arrest you if you ride down the block with a battery assisting your disabled legs attempting to peddle?
I found another site that has info on the New York State Ebike Bill, its progress and it's history. New York State Ebike Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts