"Bound" to happen

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Hazy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Well I have been told it would happen sooner or later. :mad:

As I was nearing an intersection I was guaging the traffic so I could cruise on through. I live and ride in a rural area so 99.9999% of the time this works out well for me. So anyway, as I was nearing the intersection there was a truck coming from the north ( my right ) and really shows no sign of slowing until I get right to the intersection he brakes hard and turns left. AAAAARRGH!!!:eek: I have to break hard to keep from being hit as he is swerving into my lane at a pretty good clip. Being the rookie I am I cannot get my feet undone from the pedals and sure enough I have my 1st embarrassing fall. :eek:

I got up, dusted myself off , then a couple of fellas who saw what happened drove up and asked if I was ok and needed a ride.:thumbsup: One of the things I love about this area is the helping hand nature of "most" people around here. I told them I was physically alright, just a hurt ego ,but thanks for the offer. Then proceeded to finish my cold (40 degrees F is cold on my feet since I have no shoe covers yet) ride.

Nice to get that out of the way :D

Hazy

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Nice to get that out of the way nice and early! Sometimes the ego gets biggest bruise hu? It's good to know there are still those willing to stop and lend a hand...we or I don't see that much in this area. Lotsa rubber neckers tho...

3. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

it is good to get past that... once riding into the parking lot of my brand new high school, in a brand new country we had just moved to, i looked down and back at my rear derailleur to see hwy it was shifting funny. right about the time i thought i should look up i slammed into a curb, sending me over the bars in front of a group of my peers. while still laughing they approached to "help"... trying to not cry(i am not sure from the pain or embarrassment) i said,"we do not have those in france" pointing back to the curb.
    a "funny" boy laughing so hard i could barely make out his words said, "what, don't you have bikes?"
    with out reply i got up and took my bike to find a place to lock it up... and that was the best part of my first week in school here in the us

4. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Obviously the "boys" at that school were not "schooled" in chivalry and how it works very well in impressing the girls.;)

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

6. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

One of my first "clipped" falls (about 25 years ago) occured near the front of a mass start on an MS 150 ride...everybody got a good laugh and lots of "been there done that's"

Oh, it's not "out of the way" I fell couple week ago riding with my brother, he's
    new to cycling and now I'm afraid I scared him away from clips.

7. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Interesting story. Thanks 4 sharing.

I love stories of peoples lives, and how they got to where/what they are. Unless of course that is all they can talk about, then it becomes Blah, blah , blah.

Cant imagine being underneath a rolling mass of metal and rubber. :eek: Makes me hurt just thinking about it.

Hazy

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

One of my first clipped in falls, and really it was a hung cleat, was in front of a young maybe 25 smoking hot blond that could have been a super model. Fool cleat didn't release until I hit. As I am going down I'm think why now?? Why not a block or two later or earlier?? This is going to be embarrassing, but too late. As I stopped falling and begin to assess whether or not more than my pride was hurt, I took a quick glance and saw a look of concern. As I started getting up you could see giggles being suppressed with a kind "Are you alright?" Nothing serious and she walked off. Super model that way too and I thought back to how good it was when I used to be 25. Then again even 25 year ago the phrase "Out of my League" would have most definitely applied.

Somehow when something I do really well for the first time happens, no one is around but let a cleat hang up and I go down and its like I am on the 50 yard line of the super bowl

9. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

He is just keepin you humble brother, just keepin ya humble. :D

Hazy

10. SprocketGirl

very true where has chivalry gone... and who did she leave with?

11. Industry_Hack

12. SprocketGirl

yes but you are a prince amongst swine....

13. Industry_Hack

Good to know I can still fool the young ones. ;)

14. SprocketGirl

lol.... maybe a coyote in a bunny suite. the gig is up, i am onto you!:cool:
    i've always wanted to use the cool face.... haha

15. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Hack you didn't fool her in the least. We ought to have a big two spoke birthday party for her though when she turns 21.

16. SprocketGirl

i totally agree... we do need to celebrate my 21st.... that is two years away but i suppose will be here soon enough!

17. Industry_Hack

Yeah, that's more like it. When is your birthday, by the way?

Some of us are close enough to Vegas to make it a Twospoke road trip.

18. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Geez, this thread is making me feel old ... Three of my grand kids are older than that. Think I better go for a bike ride while I'm still agile enough to swing my leg over the top tube.

19. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Larry you might feel old, but I am old. I have 3 grand nephews now and one in the oven. The youngest nephew whose training wheels I took off when he was about 6 finishes high school next year

20. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

You think you feel old, I have a great grandson and a great granddauter, my oldest grandson is 33