Brake Adjustment

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by robkyle, Mar 9, 2011.

1. robkyle

robkyle Member

After visiting several LBS we purchased the wife's new ride last week. She decided on the Specialized Dolce Elite. Not being much of a climber (I didn't know that when we got married!) she was looking for a triple chain-ring, but the Dolce comes with the SRAM Apex, which features a compact on the front and a 32 on the rear. Not much you couldn't climb with that combo!!

Anyway, the bike comes with Tektro dual pivot brakes. They have what I assume is the cable adjustment barrel at the brake that looks kind of like a four leaf clover. But simply twisting this doesn't seem to adjust the cable tension.

Any of you wrenches know how to adjust cable tension on a Tektro brake?

Thanks for the help!! -Rob

2. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

your going to want to through rocks at me, but without seeing the brakes i have know idea. i am posting to compliment your wife on having a cool ride. i bet it rides like a dream and she loves it. Sram Apex is good stuff and she will dig the ease of operation. i am a climber, but my two cents is that a compact can be just as efficient as a triple and much simpler to ride.
    Tektro makes good stuff and i am sure they are easily adjusted when you are familiar with them. thus, someone on here will have the answer you are looking for. sorry, i could not help.... happy cycling nonetheless.

3. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

You really want to keep the barrel screwed in and adjust the tension by loosening the 5mm allen bolt on the side where the quick release lever is and pulling the cable to the proper tension and tightening it back down. I'm a mechanic at a specialized dealer and do this everyday. If I could I'd just do it for you. Don't live in the SF bay area by chance do ya? :)

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If this is a new bike, the dealer should offer some sort of free tuneup after the cables break in.

5. chibibike

chibibike Banned

Yeah i got free adjustments forever.

6. robkyle

robkyle Member

Thanks for all the help. I tend to be a DIY'er and would much rather spend a couple of minutes learning how to do it myself then lugging the bike to the LBS every time it needs a minor adjustment. The bike shop mechanic reply explained it perfectly.

7. DirtyBobbysBikes

I have a day full of free tune ups ahead of me. We do free lifetime tune ups on bikes purchased from us. Glad to be of assistance.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I feel so inadequate. But I'm not at all familiar with road stuff, compared to MTB gear.

9. DirtyBobbysBikes

Wouldnt you know the first bike in my stand today was a dolce elite.