Brake design (million dollar)

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by IanHighfield, Dec 28, 2009.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Hack, or anyone else. Has anyone ever built a brake into the front fork or rear chainstay and used hydraulic components to push a pad against the wheel rim? This would get rid of a visible caliper or a disc brake structure down around the hub. It would require a fatter upper fork and chainstay but that could be nicely faired and made a part of the bike's lines.

I will bet it's been done but I've never heard of it.

Another chance for funetical to make a million dollars. We have to help this bloke.

2. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

That sounds cool but I've never heard of it.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

It's been done. Let me google that for you

Magura HS33 would be an example of such a brake but the question is why? The disc being up near the hub keeps it up out of the muck and mud and the rotors are easily replaceable without having to rebuild the entire wheel as you do when you use the rim as a braking surface.

[​IMG]

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

HandsomeRyan, my only thought was for aero benefit and because it seemed like a likely experiment. The photo you added is not quite what I picture. I would have the mini-hydraulics inside the forks with nothing but a fluid line going in. It might look like a snake swallowing a mole but it would be aero smooth. And fun, too.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I envisioned it differently myself. Also I think we could figure out a way to deal with Handsome's issues with it.
    Most million dollar ideas are just the addition of a clock. This man is designing brake systems. He doesn't have time to Google.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I just looked at the Magura website. Not at all like I want. All the guts inside the fattened forks and chainstays. A simple piston inside the fork and pushing inward toward the rim. All that would be exposed would be a rubber brake pad of some kind and that would be inside the fork.

funetical is correct. Don't send people to Google. This is a group design effort. All senders of persons to Google will not be included in the final cash prize. Unless funetical gets it done first and then we're all porked.

8. Industry_Hack

More weight and complexity? You're from the country that brought us wooden-framed cars and dodgy electronics, aren't you?

9. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Yes. I have a reputation to maintain.

10. Industry_Hack

Can you image a British space program?

11. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Using the fork/stay as a structural part of the brake means that they would have to be strengthened and stiffened, made heavier and so on. It also means that you lose the bolt on versatility that we enjoy today... choose your brake and bolt it on. Cervélo has made some TT bikes with built in rear brakes, not hydraulic, Tektro makes reverse mounted front cable brakes for added aero on TT bikes. I sometimes wonder when disc/hydraulic brakes will be used on road bikes but then again why? Hydraulics are heavy and more power than necessary.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  12. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

This pretty well sums it up.

I ♥ the hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike but there is really no need for them on a bike that is going so fast that the brakes being "aero" or not is making a difference in overall speed.

13. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Kona and a few others are putting discs on road bikes. But I agree with you, they're unneeded.

14. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Sort of like an American public train system I'd imagine: Not many tracks going nowhere fast.

Best I can do, Hack. Not much funny coming to me at the moment.

But what the hell's so fine out in space? Never understood the yearning to go out there when any place worth exploring is light years away. Blast off. Grow very old. Arrive on planet dingleberry of the Uranis Galaxy and die. No need to fly back.

I don't get it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  15. Industry_Hack

Oh, I think the space programs are a fine way to piss away tax dollars. But a Lucas-equipped vehicle that leaves the ground? Not even during the day.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

"I'm curious that's why."- funetical

17. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

funetical, as long as it's you blokes paying the way to nowhere it's good with me. Our last contact with space tech was Hitler's V2 rockets. Maybe why we're not so interested.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

The British aren't interested in space? You would think with a tiny island quickly being overpopulated you guys would be on top of it.

Is it because all your taxes go voyeurism?

Mass surveillance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

funetical, I'm watching you at this very moment through the computer screen. You've been wasting time and treasure out in space. We've invested in extreme "voyeurism". It's more fun here on earth.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.