Breaking?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Team01, May 6, 2009.

1. Team01

Team01 Guest

Another question, I have been getting into more technical rock sections these days and Im having trouble with proper breaking through these technical sections. I feel really comfortable with my hand around the grip rather then around the grip/break lever. Anybody have any tips on what they do in these situations?

2. vass

vass Guest

use two fingers on the lever and the rest on the grip. it will take some getting used to but it will work. i run alot of dh and have no problem.

what kind of break setup are you running? i run hayes hydros so its alittle easier for me to slow down no matter what. i can lock up the front end with just one finger.

3. Dstompe

Dstompe New Member

x2 on the two fingers. All i do and i ride some pretty steep/technical/rocky trails doin that. It's not worth not having your finger on the lever when you're goin down something hard

4. powderbock

powderbock Guest

x3, 2 fingers does well. Something you'll have to get used to. If you have hydro disc brakes you could get away with one finger.

5. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Set your brakes up for one-finger braking, and learn how to modulate/feather with just the one finger. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but you can do it, even running Vees.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Second on the one finger. I have all of my mtn bikes set up so just the end of the brake lever extends about an inch over the inside of the grips. It works really well for me set up that way and has vastly improved my braking.

7. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Yep, one finger is the way to go. Just relax when you are going through the rough stuff and be easy on the brakes. Momentum is your friend in a lot of cases, but practice makes perfect, or at least better anyways.