Bringing bikes and beer together, at last!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by swarm, Feb 9, 2011.

1. swarm

swarm New Member

A couple buddies and I have decided that it is time to bring together the two greatest things in the world- biking and beer! We've designed a seat clamp that has an integrated bottle opener. We want to know what you guys think. We have 2 designs- Nectar is a fixed collar:

[​IMG]

And Elixir is a quick release:

[​IMG]

But the bottle opener is sideways, won't that cause a village of spillage? You'd think so, but when you are popping the top, usually you are off to the side of the bike. Naturally you tilt the bike a little bit toward you, and you twist the bottle down. Check it out:

[​IMG]

If you guys like them, check out our Kickstarter project here.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That's cool, but on my MTB, you'd be putting the bottle opener in one of the grimiest places on the frame. Speaking of which, I've seen quite a few frames with an opener built into the rear dropout.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Santa Cruz does the dropout bottle opener; I've also seen the round type of bottle opener molded into a bolted seat collar.

Not to pee in your cornflakes, but it's been done.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've never met a mountain biker that couldn't find something on his bike to open a beer with. But some people will buy one anyway.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Why make it so complex. Put your beer in a hydration pack. You won't have dirt in your beer then.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KJtKXCHx8]YouTube - How to Open a Bottle with a Lighter[/ame]

I like your idea, I question the necessity of it is all. That doesn't mean you wont sell.

How do you keep from spilling your beer at that angle?

7. Goose5

Goose5 New Member

A friend offered me his bottle. Took one drink and almost spit it out. It was Seven and Seven. I told him beer would be better. He replied no it just fizzed up and leaked out all over his bike.

8. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

Or, you could just go all the way and get one of these. And with tapped beer, you don't even need a bottle popper.

[​IMG]

9. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Now THAT looks like a serious RAGBRAI machine!

10. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I like it. I added a bottle opener under the saddle of my fixed gear, then I added a 6-pack front rack.

[​IMG]

The price is inexpensive enough that I think people will buy it just for the 'bling' factor. Much like those stem captains or fancy headtube spacers. It's not something that anyone needs, it's just something to make the bike unique.

good luck.