Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan to handle the darkness of winter was to get a short term membership to a local gym and ride their stationary bikes until Spring. Then I remembered the one thing that used to be a pain when I went to the gym on a regular bases... come January the places are slammed with people doing their new years resolution to lose weight/get in better shape. So, hardly worth doing for two months.

As much as I don't like the idea of riding indoors, I don't have many other options. So I ordered a Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine trainer yesterday. Since I'm still going to ride my road bike on the weekends I'm going to put my flat bar bike on it (I knew there was a reason I didn't sell it) and have at it. With the holiday shopping season around the corner I should be able to pick up a good deal on a medium sized TV to mount on the wall in my spare bedroom. Get a couple spin dvd's and I'll make the best of it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Good luck Poolie! Enjoy :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it... eager to have my trainer, yesterday I checked UPS with the tracking number I received back on 11/5. The 5th is a Saturday so I knew the package wouldn't actually be picked up by UPS until early Monday morning. It's shipping from Salt Lake City, which is normally a 4 day delivery time... should be here today or tomorrow, right? Nope. When I checked the tracking number yesterday it had a note that said something like "a shipping label has been created but we can't tell you anything else until we pick up the package. Check back later". I emailed the company asking if the package had actually shipped or not. They assured me it had. This morning I checked the tracking number and magically it was picked up at 2:30 this morning and is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday. Yeah... stuff happens, but why does it always have to happen to me?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've been debating whether to pony up for a trainer or maybe buy a single-speed 29er to play around on in the snow. I've already got a gym membership, and I usually go late at night -- which is not that bad even when the New Year's Resolution people come for one month. Hmmm, would be nice to be on my road bike more -- and would be fun to have a SS 29er snow bike -- decisions, decisions. With holiday expenses coming up, I probably shouldn't buy both.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Be sure to check out the Sufferfest trainer videos. I'm a huge fan! I have lots of money invested in videos from others that simply are collecting dust right now. Plus, the Sufferfest offerings are not only greatly more entertaining as most training DVDs, they are a fraction of the price.

Cycling training videos - The Sufferfest

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be sure to check out the Sufferfest trainer videos. I'm a huge fan! I have lots of money invested in videos from others that simply are collecting dust right now. Plus, the Sufferfest offerings are not only greatly more entertaining as most training DVDs, they are a fraction of the price.

Cycling training videos - The Sufferfest

Have fun!
Alex, you should create a top 10 list of training video's or something like that. Or better yet, maybe a top 10 worst list so we don't have to waste our money on the bad ones.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Alex, you should create a top 10 list of training video's or something like that. Or better yet, maybe a top 10 worst list so we don't have to waste our money on the bad ones.
I don't know if I've tried enough to do a whole Top/Bottom 10. I will say I was EXTREMELY disappointed with all the Spinervals. Carmichael has good training fundamentals and structure, but the footage was pretty boring in the past. He has new videos that supposedly have more ATOC race footage, but I haven't given them a try. I also tried CycloClub's offerings. Not impressed.

Because the footage and music of The Sufferfest is so great, I could actually see myself sitting down and watching these for pure entertainment purposes. However, I sometimes wandered how well the workout structure actually produced results. It seemed to me an oxymoron to describe the video as entertaining and effective. Well, personally, I can say I really felt stronger after a winter of Sufferfest vids, but here's a far more technical review of the physical benefits of the videos: Sufferfest Videos: From The Power Perspective

So, with a killer soundtrack and amazing race footage, plus scientifically proven benefits, I don't see a reason to make a Top 10 list unless I'm ranking the current 8 offerings from The Sufferfest. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed, Poolie. If you are, I'll mail you some of my Carmichael videos. I'm not using them.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome Alex, I think the three paragraphs above told me what I wanted to know. Especially your disappointment in the Spinnervals series. That alone will save me money. I'm going to take your advise on Sufferfest and download one or two..

And the best thing is that an hour ago I received and email from UPS that my trainer is sitting on my front door step!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still considering purchasing a trainer -- seems like either the Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine or CycleOps Fluid2 I can't really tell too much difference between the 2 -- any insights?
There's (In my opinion) little difference between the two except that the Kinetic has a 6lb flywheel and the one on the CycleOps was, uhhh well, I don't remember but it was smaller. Reviews for both were similar, and both very good. In the end the heavier flywheel won out. I think you would be happy with either.

Tonight was actually my first ride on it. Just a short 30 minute ride, cadence up around 90 by my manual count and it felt GREAT!! Still have to wire up the cadence and speed pickups and get a fan set up to cool me off, but I'm very pleased with it. I was pouring sweat when done. Next need to get a small table to sit my laptop on so I can spin to a little Sufferfest and wait till spring gets here.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I've heard. Actually not even putting my good bike on it. I knew there was a reason I kept my hybrid. I have to admit though that I missed the 'road bike' feel last night. Might have to pickup a cheap bike on CL later and use it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
That's what I've heard. Actually not even putting my good bike on it. I knew there was a reason I kept my hybrid. I have to admit though that I missed the 'road bike' feel last night. Might have to pickup a cheap bike on CL later and use it.
Yep, it always scared me clamping my "plastic" bike in there.

So are you going to ride the 100 Miles of Nowhere on it next year? I'll probably be doing it again. (http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f114/100-miles-nowhere-6281/)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There's (In my opinion) little difference between the two except that the Kinetic has a 6lb flywheel and the one on the CycleOps was, uhhh well, I don't remember but it was smaller. Reviews for both were similar, and both very good. In the end the heavier flywheel won out. I think you would be happy with either.
Cool, thanks for the feedback!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts