Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my collarbone today after going over the handlebars on my bike. It is my first broken bone and I was wondering what exercises would be good for regaining strength in that shoulder after it has healed a little bit?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I would wait until you've got 100% medical clearance before you do anything. That's a nasty one, and it needs time to heal. I've seperated my AC joint, and it was brutal. I also lifted too soon, and my right shoulder is a little elevated as a result of something I did 20 years ago.

Once you are cleared, scapular stabilization and thoracic mobility are what you want to focus on. I would hammer the lats to make sure they are activating to keep the shoulder stable. You may as well trash your glutes too.

Again, AFTER you've been cleared to do so!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be sure to wait til after I've been cleared to start lifting. How long should it take, once I start lifting, to gain most of my strength back? I am mostly worried that I will lose my starting position on my football team and I want to be able to get back into it pretty quickly so I am able to keep that spot.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
If you're playing football, is it high school, JC or college? Given your age range (14-21/22), I wouldn't think it would take to long. Its easier to get it back than it is to build it. Depending on your base of strength pre crash, I've seen it come back in as few as four weeks to as long as eight depending on the severity of the injury.

The key is making sure you're "grooving" the right movement patterns with everything you do. The trickiest lifts for football will be front squats, cleans and overhead press. If you have to do those with the team, I'd hire a strength coach (if only for one session) to make sure you are doing them right.

Once you separate a shoulder, its can get tricky real quick if you move incorrectly for too long, even after you heal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I play football in high school, and would I necessarily need to get a strength coach, or can I get one of my coaches to work with me on my form? Would it also be more difficult to do the hex bar lift? I was just wondering because the three exercise my team does the most is front squat, bench press, and hex.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I LOVE the hex/trap bar deads. Very back friendly too. The key will be to perfect your pushups as you stabillize your shoulder before you bench. Front squat will require wrist/elbow mobility to make sure the shoulder is happy.

Can you guy DB's for the bench press? DB press on the floor is a great way to groove the right movements and begin to rebuild shoulder strength. Hits the abs pretty good too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the hex bar dead lifts too, that is the one I am best at. I've been doing it for a few months and I am currently at 230 for sets of 10. I'm sure if I talk to my coach that he would allow me to use DBs to bench for a while. It shouldn't be a problem because our weight room has a wide variety of DBs.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Have you heard of NICA? National Interscholastic Cycling Association. Awesome high school MTB league.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
...Once you separate a shoulder, its can get tricky real quick if you move incorrectly for too long, even after you heal.

Good advice in this thread. Laroche has a fracture though and not a separation. I'm just here to assure him the prognosis is good. In a young person the bone should heal fast and without any lasting complications. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts