broken front derailluer

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by LosemoneyG, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LosemoneyG

LosemoneyG New Member

I have a 4 year old Giant OCR 3 which needs upgrading. I finally have a good excuse to do so. My front derailluer a sora which came with the bike finally called it quits. My problem is compatibility. Looking for upgrades I noticed that my choices are 10 speed. Will a 10 speed compatible fd work with an 8 speed drivetrain? If not is it worth upgrading the drivetrain to 10 speed or just replace the fd with lower end part?

George

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

There's a good chance that upgrading to 10 speed will cost more than you originally paid for your bike. And the 10 speed won't work with 8 speed, as it's designed for a much narrower chain.

On the bright side, 8 speed stuff is pretty cheap, and super cheap on eBay.

3. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

Taken from Sheldon's site: Although he says it may be a bit fussier in adjustment.
    ------------------------------
    7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed...
    Many front derailers are designated for some number of speeds in back. This is actually primarily a marketing distinction, not a functional one. Pretty much any front derailer will work with any modern chain system.
    It is true that the cages have gotten slightly narrower to match the narrower chains used on systems with more rear sprockets, but this is rarely a problem in practice.

All About Front Derailers

4. Industry_Hack

Paying extra for a 10 speed front to use with your 8 speed cassette makes no sense at all.

5. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

Yeah, $20 is way too much for a good derailleur. I'd sell my bike before spending that kind of money!:p

Shimano 105 Front Derailleur - Front Derailleur

BTW, I was answering his question of "will it work?" ;)

6. Industry_Hack

But look at the regular price. If you go to your LBS, they would gladly take $50 from you, which is kinda steep.

7. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

That's not true, I paid $29 for mine at the LBS. If they had wanted $50, I would have ordered online.

If the guy is looking for a good deal, then he should go online. Jenson USA, Nashbar, Performance, there are a ton of sites with good deals. If you let the shop stick you, then he must have the money to toss.

8. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

"shop stick you?"

I think that It may be worth the extra money to see the part in person before you order it and to have someone who knows you and your bike set you up. Back when I was running a retail shop I would have some of my racer patrons walk in with a bike nashbar mag and want me to match the price.

Most of the prices were really close to my wholesale cost. I know you folks want a dedicated person working for you but I think that slavery is still illegal in the western world.

Most of the L.B.S. are not out to "rip off" their customers but they have to keep the doors open. The last time I checked no one was handing out shop space, utilities and payroll magically.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. Industry_Hack

Top pull or bottom pull, and clamp size. It's not rocket science.