Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my iZip Trailz for more than a year and have had problems with broken spokes repeatedly. I think I need thicker spokes. I believe that the back wheel has 14 gauge standard spokes, but I'm guessing I need 12. I read somewhere where it was possible to fit that size onto a Trailz with bigger holes in the hub. I am mechanically inclined but I don't have much experience with bicycles least of all DIY modifications to stock parts.

There is a local bike shop that can do the work, but their spoke cutter does not support 12 gauge spokes. Perhaps I could go to a motorcycle repair shop to get the spokes cut and take the bike to the bike shop, but if anyone here has any better ideas, please let me know. If I could just order the spokes and be done with it that would be great, but I don't know where I could go to do that.

I can't imagine the problems I would have with this bike if I had two batteries instead of one. It's got to be too much weight for the size spokes which seems like a design flaw to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my iZip Trailz for more than a year and have had problems with broken spokes repeatedly. I think I need thicker spokes. I believe that the back wheel has 14 gauge standard spokes, but I'm guessing I need 12. I read somewhere where it was possible to fit that size onto a Trailz with bigger holes in the hub. I am mechanically inclined but I don't have much experience with bicycles least of all DIY modifications to stock parts.

There is a local bike shop that can do the work, but their spoke cutter does not support 12 gauge spokes. Perhaps I could go to a motorcycle repair shop to get the spokes cut and take the bike to the bike shop, but if anyone here has any better ideas, please let me know. If I could just order the spokes and be done with it that would be great, but I don't know where I could go to do that.

I can't imagine the problems I would have with this bike if I had two batteries instead of one. It's got to be too much weight for the size spokes which seems like a design flaw to me.
Hi my bikes are Whizzer motorbikes some 24"s and 26"s with 105 and 120 spokes.Here's a guy that sells stainless steel spokes his name is Bill Warwood 330-947-2744 he's in Ohio. hope this helps

·
Banned
7 Posts
Spokin'

EZip Trailz - rear wheel spoke replacement ...
Practice makes perfect!
Last timed attempt was 11 minutes! :)

Attachments

·
Banned
613 Posts
EZip-IZip Broken Spoke Remedy!

Broken spokes!
I had about 4 instances!
I even resorted to buying 12ga spokes, not installed yet, a Winter project, may require drilling ...

Strangely ... the breaks were on the pedal sprocket side?
I say strangely, because all the 2008 Trailz's always suffered broken spokes on the motor side?

I didn't realize the significance, till I laced a new hub into a wheel.
After careful consideration as to directional torque and how the spokes were supported in the hub flange, I determined that the motor & pedal torque should be sustained by spokes with the elbows turned outward.
After looking at my other EZips, I was able to confirm that the spokes were breaking because the torqued spokes had their elbows turned inward!

A picture of my 2008 EZip MT w/16 mod.
As you can see, the inward turned elbows are poorly suited to survive torque.

14ga spokes might work satisfactorily with the EZips, if properly directionalized!

Well it's about time for me to pack away the Stepthrough, and put my Winter EZip back on the road.
Configuring my pack heaters ... now.

Attachments

·
Banned
613 Posts
EZip 258-260mm Spokes - Washers!

I'm afraid that the, previously, recommended 260mm spokes, are not capable of being shortened!

Solution!
Due to the added stress added by 12ga spokes, there is the possibility of the oem wheel not being strong enough!

So ... I added a washer, to the nipple, to spread the stress area. Also, most washers are "stamped' from sheet metal, leaving the hole with a nice curved edge, ideal for nipple "angling".
I did consider "seating" the washers with silicone adhesive, or similar. Alloy aluminum, against steel, isn't ideal, but instead, merely wrapped a layer of duct tape around wheel, under washer ... it should "seat" the washers nicely.
... which adds about 2mm, making the 260mm spokes perfect for the 258mm side.
Also worked "properly on the 260mm side ... still plenty of thread grip.

Even the larger, 12ga spokes, did not seem to fit properly into the EZip hub, so I added smaller washers, pulling, the elbow, closer to the hub. Theoretically, strengthening that weak point. ... :cool:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well I don't know if anyone else gets this impression, but it strikes me that if there is that much trouble with broken spokes that there could be a big problem with the quality of the design and the engineering behind it (if any) as to make one think twice. Spokes usually just don't break for not reason. Maybe once or twice in a career, but it should be something really rare in a wheel. Yeah I have broken one or two, but it was jumping a bike that really wasn't designed to be jumped and I was much younger then.

What this looks like to me is that the electric motor was just an afterthought to a wheel that was not designed for it. An off the self bike wheel is not designed for the added stresses and types of stresses an electric motor is going to put on a wheel. Yeah it might work for a while and its one thing if its a project you are tinkering with in your own backyard with your own butt on the line. Yet as someone says beef the spokes up and you have a problem with the hub. Fixing one problem often leads to another, unless the wheel was designed for this in the first place.

Breaking a spoke might not be the end of the world, but I sure wouldn't want to break a hub. The question would be where would it break, how would it affect the control of the bike and how lucky are you going to be as to the timing of when it breaks.

·
Banned
613 Posts
EZip 258-260mm Spokes - Washers!

I'm afraid that the, previously, recommended 260mm spokes, are not capable of being shortened!

Solution!
Due to the added stress added by 12ga spokes, there is the possibility of the oem wheel not being strong enough!

So ... I added a washer, to the nipple, to spread the stress area. Also, most washers are "stamped' from sheet metal, leaving the hole with a nice curved edge, ideal for nipple "angling".
I did consider "seating" the washers with silicone adhesive, or similar. Alloy aluminum, against steel, isn't ideal, but instead, merely wrapped a layer of duct tape around wheel, under washer ... it should "seat" the washers nicely.
... which adds about 2mm, making the 260mm spokes perfect for the 258mm side.
Also worked "properly on the 260mm side ... still plenty of thread grip.

Even the larger, 12ga spokes, did not seem to fit properly into the EZip hub, so I added smaller washers, pulling, the elbow, closer to the hub. Theoretically, strengthening that weak point. ... :cool:
#10 SAE washers for the nipples.
#6 SAE washers for the "elbow" end.
Washers were $2.79 per 100 (box)
Check your sizing to insure proper fit, there is always some variance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Ezip trails in February of 2013. I ride it to and from work everyday, about 15 miles round trip. Last Friday while pulling into work, every other spoke on the rear wheel snapped right at the hub. From what I have read in these forums, a broken spoke happens every once in a great while when riding, but with the Ezip bike, it looks like a common occurrence. I think it's a design flaw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts