Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little issue on the LSD ( yes, the Long Steady Distance ride)Now it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend with no spares and not much chance of getting a new one anytime soon...bumming MAYBE BikeBeat-Williamsburg, Newport News, Kempsville, and Hilltop will have spares :) only 916 miles for the first failure.

WOW my junk is dirty !

Attachments

·
retromike3
274 Posts
spokes

I like going with a few more spokes on my rear wheel. I am using 32 on my road bike (their Ti ) and I did have three fail after about four thousand miles, but the wheel was hit by a car and rim was ruined, But at six bucks a spoke I rebuilt the wheel on a new rim and guess what? they did not stretch.

What I used to do was to tape a few extra spokes to my chain stay and carry a freehub key and a fold up crescent and spoke wrench. If you can get the cassette off then you can replace the spoke. Its not fun(can you say greasy hands) but it beats walking.

On my touring bike for the rear wheel I go with a thirty six spoke wheel and they just keep going. Over built is Ok to me. For my particularly brutal customers I would set them up with forty eight spoke tandem wheels. if you go with a super light arrow set up, it wont do you much good if your bike is laying on the side of the road.

mike

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have had 2 spokes pop on my 2010 Fuji Absolute 1.0 so far, I have about 2800 miles on the bike since March. I am thinking a Touring bike might be in my future, as I just ride to ride slow and steady, about 25 miles a day now. :rolleyes:

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Most LBS's don't carry replacement spokes for factory built wheels because there's too many of them and the inventory would be huge, which means they would have to order them...BUT, you may get lucky.

As far as your junk being dirty...TAKE A SHOWER damn it!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
spoke replacement

the question is do you need a spoke that looks like the one that broke or do you need one that s the same size? I replaced my Ti die spokes with DTs and they are sill holding. they may not look as cool but I am riding my bike.

I think that as long as you are not using a liner pull design you can substitute on of your spokes for a generic one at your lbs. If you want to order one to match your wheel that's fine but at least get something that works on your bike now, so you can ride your bike.

mike

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the question is do you need a spoke that looks like the one that broke or do you need one that s the same size? I replaced my Ti die spokes with DTs and they are sill holding. they may not look as cool but I am riding my bike.

I think that as long as you are not using a liner pull design you can substitute on of your spokes for a generic one at your lbs. If you want to order one to match your wheel that's fine but at least get something that works on your bike now, so you can ride your bike.

mike
Yes and no on the spoke being the same. I have two temp spokes that you would have to look hard to see the difference. Mavic is giving a ship date of 7 October. UNSAT ! I'll buy Bontrager, Reynolds, Easton, or anything else that has acceptable support.

I have 2 sets of wheels so it was never to much of an issue other than weight and looks :)

I have had a tick or click sound that since the spoke replacement has disappeared. I had thought it was in a pedal or cleat but could never pin point it and at this point have to guess it was in the broken spokes !

·
4,311 Posts
I have had a tick or click sound that since the spoke replacement has disappeared. I had thought it was in a pedal or cleat but could never pin point it and at this point have to guess it was in the broken spokes !
Yes mine started makeing a noise every time the left pedal was on the bottom of the stroke, then came the ting a ling a ling sound as the end of the spoke came off at the hub. New spoke all is good now, no creeking sound.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
In all my years I have not broken a spoke.

Knock on wood!!

I try to keep my wheels tuned.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here it is December 6, 2010 and I am STILL waiting for Mavic to ship my spokes. I love these wheels but will have to think long and hard before I buy a Mavic product again. Product support does not seem to be in their vocabulary. I'm starting to get a little agitated with them now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I had a spoke fail on my Giant Sedona within the first 200 miles. I had not realized it was broken until I took back to the LBS to get my shifters adjusted. The telltale sign was the slight wobble in the wheel. My LBS replaced it on the spot!! I've about 500 miles on now and things are still good!!

Had I bought the nonsuspension model the wheels would have had 36 spokes instead of 32. Sometimes, these things happen when you are a Clyde. Of course, it may have been the luck of the draw.

BobH.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

The telltale sign was the slight wobble in the wheel. My LBS replaced it on the spot!! I've about 500 miles on now and things are still good!!

Had I bought the nonsuspension model the wheels would have had 36 spokes instead of 32.
BobH.
Mine was an annoying clicking/ticking that would come and go. I checked everything from my cleats, pedals and even the seat post. I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. Didn't find it or figure it out until the second one broke...

The spokes have arrived !!!

BTW Bob, I grew up N.W of you in the little town of Morton,Il. and raced motocross south of you in Effingham...many moons ago now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't believe it! I broke another spoke yesterday... I've only got 2070 miles these. I thought I had a flat at first or something had happened to the tube or something. It felt like I was dragging an anchor from the wobble that I didn't realize at first. Happened at about mile 17 of a 35 mile ride straight into a good 20-25 mph headwind. Good thing I bought a whole package of drive side spokes since the Mavic customer support seems to be so speedy. This could be a deal breaker...I'm putting a set of Bontrager RL's back for now. I may start looking for some Easton or Reynolds wheels and maybe I'll just save the money and stay with what I have for a while.

On a positive note it was still a beautiful day for a ride!

Attachments

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Question

It may seem a bit odd, but how many spokes do you have in the wheel set you are using? I build wheels and I have found that many ultra light wheel sets don't last that long. I have an old Trek that has a set of wheels that is old enough to drink and I recently had to rebuild it because my rear hub seized up (old Suntour Grease Guard rear hub that I could not get parts for anymore) I replaced that hub with a new old Campy Nuovo Record 36 spoke hub and I was able to use the old spokes over again!

I used DT 14 gauge none butted spokes that are stainless steel. I usually just cut the old spokes out but I looked before hand and did not have any replacements for the that particular hub, rim combination. It was a pain to unscrew all of those spokes and it took me almost as long to "unbuild" the wheel as it did to rebuild it later. Good thing for me that I had not decided to wrap and solder that wheel when I built it to begin with.

Its back on the road again and I use it for a daily commuter/to the store bike. I have also have used it to go for full pack touring where I carry all of my gear and tent and me.

mike

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Retro, they have 18 spokes on the front and 20 on the rear. What strikes me as odd is the fact it has been a drive side spoke every time I have broken one. I rode with the factory Bontrager RL wheel set this morning, which I think has the same spoke count, and was pleased with them. I have enjoyed the Ksyrium Elite wheels but am strongly considering putting them up on ebay.

I agree on the weight, I would be better off to loose a few pounds off of my frame but at the same time the more help I can get/buy to reduce the rotating mass the better for this weak old man :D

·
4,311 Posts
If thay just put a spoke in and true it up, That might be why you broke anouther one. Thay nead to tighten the tention so all the spokes are the same

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Retro, they have 18 spokes on the front and 20 on the rear. What strikes me as odd is the fact it has been a drive side spoke every time I have broken one. I rode with the factory Bontrager RL wheel set this morning, which I think has the same spoke count, and was pleased with them. I have enjoyed the Ksyrium Elite wheels but am strongly considering putting them up on ebay.

I agree on the weight, I would be better off to loose a few pounds off of my frame but at the same time the more help I can get/buy to reduce the rotating mass the better for this weak old man :D
I went back and scanned, howbeit rather fast, previous posts and I didn't see any that mentioned how much you weigh. So the question is how much do you weigh?

Your idea of reducing rotating mass to help a weak old man is incorrect. Depending on how much you weigh you may need to get a more sturdier wheel that will weigh more. But how much is more? A good set of rims like the very basic rim like the Mavic Open Pro rims with 32 spokes per rim are a great rim probably won't weigh more then 250 grams then what you have now! And they would hold up quite nicely.

You could do one of a couple of things: sell the rims as you mentioned and take the money and have a set of the Open Pros built; keep the rims you have and have a set of the Open Pros built, then when the weight comes down you can go back to the K's.

There are a few less expensive options then the Open Pros, like Sun ME14A that would cost about $30 less per rim. The Sun's aren't as refined as the Mavic but would save you money. If you go that route have whichever rim built using DT Competition double butted spokes, I like brass nipples because they last a long time, and then have them laced 3x and you will have a very strong wheel that short of an accident will never break a spoke and rarely need truing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts