Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a killer exercise from Juan Carlos Santana's MEd, CSCS Institute of Human Performance in Boca Raton, Florida. It crushes the hamstrings, works the posterior chain quite a bit and has several variations that make it impossible to get bored. Plus, all you need is a ball and a little bit of floor space.

Most people are weak in their posterior chain from sitting all day at work, so this exercise will definitely address that. For endurance athletes it smooths out your pedal stroke and makes your running a lot better. Especially once you've worked up to the single leg version.

Prior to doing this, make sure you get a thorough once over from a trusted trainer, PT or sports doc to make sure you are ready to go. If you are, enjoy, because your hamstrings will scream in agony as you build muscles that can rip phone books in half.

PLEASE NOTE:
The video has the first and third exercises out of order based on the way Santana teaches it at his seminars. It should be a progression of pain from most manageable to most "enjoyable" as you do it.

• Step One
    • Lie on your back with your legs extended and your calvess on the ball.
    • Lift a straight spine off the floor, think hip hinge to get to the top of a deadlift, by pushing the calves into the ball. Your head should automatically push into the floor as well.
  • Step Two
    • Keeping your hips off the ground the whole time, contract your hamstrings and drag your heels toward your butt.
    • Straighten your legs using your glutes to push your heels out.

• Step Three
    • Slightly bend the knees and and put the ball of your feet on the ball.
    • To make it more fun, keep the heels off the ball.
    • Drive the ball of your foot into the ball and raise your hips off the ground.
    • Done correctly, by this point a searing lactic acid induced muscular "warmth" should've accumulated in your glutes, hamstrings and calves.

I'm not to big on trying to count with this sequence because if you do it correctly, you should barely be able to say your name, let alone think it. So the whole counting thing isn't a good idea. Set a timer to :30 and do each thing for the alloted time. You can do consecutive sets or use it as part of a routine. Either way you'll have a blast!

Enjoy the stability ball triple threat!

=======================================================================

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
Why you gota be like that :D

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please hold the line, all customer service reps are currently helping other callers. You approximate wait time is five minutes....

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[ame]http://youtu.be/H0gm5MQcZUY[/ame]

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
What size stabilty ball would I need to get started?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the sizes based on your height. When you sit on it, your knees should be 90 degrees. Of you have back issues, your knees should be about an inch lower than the hips.

But if you do have back issues, the triple threat isn't where you start. But you guys already knew that!

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
I Gota get back to this!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Intergrate still come around these parts. I made a Kneesque comment one time on one of his threads that he did not like much. I figured he blocked me seeing as I never seen anything by him since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts