Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2011 (i think) fuji nevada 2.0. I got it from a family member who won it in a contest. The bike has little use on it not really any serious mountain riding. Its my first mtb and im just now getting into it. However the bike is a little too heavy for my liking. Im going to try and get into mountain biking but im not sure what to do. Is this bike worth trying to lighten up and improve with better components, or should i not bother and just get another bike?

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Ride it man, ride it! Don't worry about lite. I have an OLD Specialized Rockhopper that I got free and it's HEAVY and wore out but I enjoy riding it almost more than my new road bike.

Just go ride, see if it's something you want to stick to and then worry about all the other stuff!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Googled it and it looks like that bike is about 32lbs. For now I'd do what Rola said and ride the wheels off of it. It looks like a pretty decent bike. While you're learning the ropes of mountain biking a couple pounds won't make a whole lot of difference. If you're just determined to pull weight off the bike, wheels are the place to do it. Everything else will just be a gram here and gram there and you'll sink a bunch of money doing so.

You'll need to go to the $1500-$2000 range to get a good 25# bike. Ride that one!!!!!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I don't want to see anyone over 150 pounds complaining about the weight of their bike. Heck, when I started mountain biking, 32 pounds was downright light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very true, thanks guys. I gueese ill just ride it and maybe later on change the wheels. Whats a good wheel set to get that not too expensive or much money? Schould i look into a complete set or would it be cheaper to build them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Industry_Hack said:
I don't want to see anyone over 150 pounds complaining about the weight of their bike. Heck, when I started mountain biking, 32 pounds was downright light.
Im a 17 year old thats under 120 lbs lol

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
The bike is way to heavy for you please send it to me right away:D I will take on the burden of riding it for you. :)

Just enjoy riding the bike don't worry about weight.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
My first BMX probably weighed 40.

No sympathy here. But really, you should just ride. The only upgrades I would make are at the contact points - bars, seat, pedals. If you get a nicer wheelset, you can always put them on another bike later.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,172 Posts
+1 on just ride it! Your muscles will develop to handle the load. I used to pull a 100# trailer for the extra conditioning it provided. If you get good at riding the bike you have, upgrading to a newer, lighter one will just be that much sweeter. Ride the wheels off this one, and you'll know it's worth spending $$ on a lighter model. I really love hearing about old 'new' bikes being rescued and put on the road where they belong. Best of luck, and keep spinning those cranks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think ill keep it and possibly upgrade to better/lighter wheels. Whats a good wheelset to get if i do decide to go that route. And whats a better fork, i now have a suntour xtc i think and i hate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts