Building a tandem bicycle from 2 different frames.

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by funetical, Nov 9, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have a couple of bike frames sitting here at the house and I was wondering if anybody had tried to extend a frame into a tandem by merging two or more frames together? I think it's either build a tandem or a tall bike. I think the tall bike would be easy, I just won't have a use for it not needing attention and all.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

This is not entirely uncommon. I think the best writeup about it is by the late great Sheldon Brown...

Home-Built Tandem Bicycles

[​IMG]

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Building one at home sounds like fun. I contacted a frame builder that specialized in titanium, gave them my specs (17/15, disc mounts, 6 S&S couplers, etc.) and waited for a CAD drawing. Made some changes, finally approved drawing number three. Flew from Australia to the US with the family, made a trip to the wheel builder, ATC Racing, and Performance Bike Shop. Also ordered a bunch of stuff from that Nutt at MTB Tandems, Alex. After about six months of planning and collecting parts, along with about AU$8k, I had a really sweet MTB tandem. And no, that did not include airfare. The bike shop I worked at did the math, and figured I saved about AU$4k doing it myself.

Your idea sounds more practical.

4. adlondon

adlondon New Member

I looked into this process for a long time. This link
    brilliantly simple tandem bike
    was the simplest and cheapest way I found. It's not a traditional tandem by any means, as it has 3 wheels and is basically two working bikes put together. However, I thought about going the route you suggested and came across these plans How to build a tandem. I have no experience in welding, let alone access to a welder, so I decided to build the first one with three wheels. I bought an older Trek from goodwill, and as I was about to get started, came across a Huffy Savannah Tandem Cruiser on craigslist for $100. They run about $250-$300 new and are fairly low maintenance. I ended up getting the one of craigslist, and have been really happy with it. That being said, I would much rather have invested the time into welding two frames, especially because you can be proud of the finished product knowing that you built it.

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

funetical, do something different like welding the two bikes side-by-side. Make it fairly narrow to be somewhat practical. It's been done, I'm sure, but I think it would be even cooler than an inline tandem and it might be easier to make too. Put a bunch of cross tubing pieces and X braces attached to whatever part of the bikes you think appropriate or do a Google search and find out how someone else attached it.

I've had a sidecar ride in a sidecar bicycle. That was a trip. This tandem bike could be similar.