Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently got 3 10 and 12 speed MTB's, with the plan to build my own EZ recumbent. I have spent hours reading, and am a fan of recycled recumbents.com. Got the garage cleaned up, and the welder hooked up. Tomorrow night, I will start cutting, or at least disassembling. Will keep yall posted as to progress.
2 of the bikes are fatter tubed MTB's and i have 2 hybrid tire'd thinner tubed bikes, both of which are nicer shape than the MTB's. Not sure which pair I want to use as donors...???
None of them are quality bikes, all have a 1 piece cranks. I figure if this weldup works well, then I will do it again with better quality donor bikes!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cool! Ever notice, when most people talk of building a bike, they mean buying stuff to hang on an existing frame. It takes a special breed to build their own frame!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both bikes stripped, cut apart, and basic shape is laying there. 3 hours into it today. Getting tubing tomorrow,hopefully. Weld by the weekend!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both bikes stripped, cut apart, and basic shape is laying there. 3 hours into it today. Getting tubing tomorrow,hopefully. Weld by the weekend!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
done some welding yesterday. Seat frame is made, just waiting for a delivery of material. cant go much furtherv without the seat material. Fitting up bars,brakes,etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seat is done. Now I gotta get the struts made. I have 2 stainless struts from an old boat bimini top, I may use. Too many hours at work to get much done. Will work on it on sunday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grind and weld,grind and weld. It is basically done today. I reassembled it,added the rear brakes and deraillers. Odd to start, to say the least. Its like starting out as a kid again. Once you are rolling, and leaning back on the seat, its comfy. Tomorrow I will disassemble,grind a few more welds smooth, prime,putty, and clean the garage to prep for painting. I ordered a matching set of tires with whitewalls today,along with new 8'long stainless brake and shifter cables. I WILL add a 3 gear crank to it upon reassembly.Overall, I am HAPPY!!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy Thanksgiving! Finally the bike is 100% complete. Assembled last night, and rode today. Awesome. Gearing is fine with only a 2 gear crank. My neighborhood is steep, and I pump up the hills fine. Cold today, and I see the need for a windshield fairing.... Sunday I will ride the local bike trails in Pittsburgh. Heres the last few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, I havent ridden anything since thanksgiving morning. I ended up in bed, feeling flu-like. Not gotten better, I ended up in the ER on sunday morning, being diagnosed with a perforated colon from problems with diverticulitus, which I didnt know I had. So now I have a drain coming out my belly, and am awaiting another operation to resection my intestines together. Biking is sorta out of the question until 4 to 6 weeks after the operation. No work planned until March.....see ya then!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Technically, an EZ-1 is a horse of a different color. The EZ-1 is a CLWB, with a 16" front wheel and a 20" rear wheel, and quite a bit shorter than yours. What you have created is sort of a TourEasy EX clone; that is, a 20" (406mm) front and 26" rear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i only called it what the guy who supplies plans called it....not sure what CLWB stands for. I do know Long Wheel Base...???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i went and checked his website again, and you are RIGHT. He does credit TE. And calls my model the EZ clone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts