Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have an idea in my mind for a wooden recumbent, and it may be a tadpole type of arrangement. Trouble is using wood I am kinda stumped at what to do with the bottom bracket.

Im trying to build this on a budget. If I can recycle parts out of an old bike I will. The trouble is the bottom brackets I have seen in pieces are threaded. Yes I have seen wood threaded, but not under anywhere near the kind of stresses the act of cycling will put on things.

Is there such a thing as a type of bottom bracket that does not need threads in the frame to keep it in place? I have seen wooden bikes, but I haven't been able to see the cranks ect before they were installed.

The rest of the bike I know I can make plenty strong. Granted it might be a bit heavy, but this is the third time this year my knee is acting up from a bike fit issue and I am kind of tired of it. I'm looking for comfort rather than all out speed or super light weight.

If I can figure out a way to keep the cranks solid and doing what they are should, the rest of the project shouldn't be that tough. I know. Famous last words. Nothing is as easy as you expect, but that just makes completion more worthwhile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
why not find the bottom bracket you need and have tabs welded to it. then it could be attached to your frame with bolts or screws.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
After you do your wood project you should try bamboo, it's lighter and stronger and looks great. Who knows, you get good at the bamboo thing and you could go into business making and selling bamboo recumbents! Bamboo bicycles are a nitch market but they do sell.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id thought about bamboo. Its not hard to find, relatively inexpensive and can be finished to have a very unique look. Hadn't thought about tabs. Might work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts