Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to do a favor for a kid that lives next door whom I know does odd jobs to suppliment the family income for his single-parent Mom. His bike got stolen recently and he depened on this for riding to school, his jobs and running errands. I know they cannot afford a new bike, so I thought I'd get him one. I cannot afford something costly myself, but I want to get the best for my money. My choice is a new bike from a Dept. Store, like Wal-Mart where they have low cost bikes... or shop around for a used bike but in good condition. What do you guys suggest? I found a couple of good used bikes that might work, but I was wondering if I should get just a tune-up on it or a full overhaul to make it good-as-new? And, if I buy new, will the Wal-Mart bike be as good as a tuned up used bike of (presumably) highter quality? Opinions? My budget is about $100-$150 or so.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think used would probably be better in that price range. I'd rather have a tuned up used bike than a brand new Walmart bike. A complete tune-up can cost almost your whole budget though. Try to find a used bike that doesn't need a whole lot of work. I applaud you for trying to replace the stolen bike. I hope you can find something nice for him.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
What kind of bike? A BMX, or multi-speed? Keep in mind what he's going to use it for, as well as future maintenance needs. I can send a bunch of stickers, if that interests him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts