Buying a Bike Before Riding

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TxCyclist, Sep 2, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I have yet to buy a bike before I ride it first or at least a version of it. There are lots of online bike retailers though so I assume people do it all the time?

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

I liked the option of trying it before I buy it. It really does make a difference. I tried a few before I found 'the one'. Good luck!

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I thought about purchasing a bike online prior to trying it out, but ended up at my LBS and tested out a few rides. It turned out the bike I preferred, and still do; wasn't the model I would have ordered. The upside with getting a bike from your LBS is that you can get some good advice....that is if you trust them.

Good luck in your hunt!!!

4. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I got mine on line.
    I sized myself up and got a bike that fit that sizing, as it had detailed sizing on it.
    It is a wonderful bike, I am pleased, and saved some scratch too.

I guess it's taking a bit of a chance...Like mail order for Jeeps???

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Did you get measured at a LBS?

6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I learned how to do the measurements for fit, so I fit myself, and found the frame I liked online, picked parts, and built the thing when it all arrived. Haven't had a day of regret -- except for the day I dead-sailored off the bike last October. My fault, I didn't order the stiffer springs for the fork. Sometimes I can be such a dumkopf!

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I purchased my bike at the local bike shop, it is exactly what I was lookin for, although I rode it only about 100ft, I bought it. I've known the shop owner for over 15yrs, was a patient in my practice(maybe he was a little nervous, never thought about it before), I had complete confidence in his ability to pick right for me, and my faith in him was well placed.

I think if I ordered the bike and it wasn't quite right, I would problably ride it anyway even though it wasn't right, just at thought.

I am gettin ready to get a road bike, serious bucks, I rode the bike twice for over 20mi total in different terrain. I've been thinkin about it for over 6mos, now I'm sure. When I get ready to buy the bike, I'll go back to the same shop and order it

While I probably could get the bike cheaper someplace else, I like to support the local business people whenever possible.

DrB

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

While I probably could get the bike cheaper someplace else, I like to support the local business people whenever possible.

Way to go Doc. Don't forget where your money comes from.
    I always went to my customers first to buy things!!!!

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Just ride at the store and buy online.

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

That sounds real nice.

Hope you break your leg while your wasting the shops time.

That's why they can sell cheap on line because they give no service!!!!

11. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

This subject can go on forever

I guess this subject can go on forever :confused:
    I find that I am going back and forth between buying from a LBS or online. I can get twice the bike online that I could get in a LBS. I would like the service and the fitting, yet with a little planning it seems that you can fit yourself. Lets face it, even the the people that do the fitting will say the final choice is a personal one.

I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MINE :confused::mad::confused::mad::(

12. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Mike, why don't you take the papers from the on-line store into the LBS and ask them to match it or see how close they can come. THEN you got a friend in a LBS to ask questions and turn to !!!!!!

13. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I measured myself at home. There are several places on the web for this.
    I DID go to a couple lbs's before I bought online.
    I looked at a Fuji and a Specialized or two.
    But in my defense... The Bike Source(the Specialized dealer) could care less and was way too busy fussing with a wall of inventory and a damm telephone to be bothered by a cash customer...his loss! If I am in your store with $1000 cash in hand and YOU THE DEALER shows more interest in a ringing phone...I WALK!!! And that fuji was one ugly bike...ugly! The colors were a bit...well not my taste.
    U-haul did the same thing when I tried to buy(with green cash money)a trailer hitch and every time the phone rang...she stopped dealing with me and had a conversation on the phone(several calls later) I walked out and went to Draw tite and was treated like a man with cash money!
    Guess which trailer hitch I got?

Same with bikes..I am NOT riding a specialized bike. Doesn't matter if Specialized is God's gift or not, not going to be treated poorly and then hand over my money!

Treat me like your business is dependent on me...especially when I have cash money!!!
    OR
    I will go to a place where they WANT my money.

Also...
    I have VERY limited funds, I work hard for my money.
    I will make EVERY EFFORT to spend my money on large purchases, on the "best bang for the buck". If this is on line...so be it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  14. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I havn't found a spin "around the parking lot" any more informative than the sizing information posted on most websites.

I like GM's marketing plan where you have 60 days to decide wheather you like their car or not. For me a 20 minute test drive isn't enough to decide on a major purchase. It takes me 20 minutes to figure out the radio and climate controls.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Most places let you ride the hell out of it. I always leave the keys to my car though or my license. Some of the bikes though are more expensive than my car.

16. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I agree that a test ride around the parking lot, or even on the road, in itself is not enough to make an informed decision. It's just the final step before purchase. By that time, you should have a good idea of the brand, model, component group, size, etc. that you are interested in.

GM's business model is not one that any bike manufacturer is likely to emulate--not if they want to keep their doors open anyway.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I trade at all my local shops. Your tone is pretty drastic. You shouldn't get so riled up. Calm down have a big glass of Metamucil and when your bowls open back up you can remove that stick. But thanks for the opion burrrrr

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  18. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

what's "dead sailored off the bike" mean?