Two Spoke Forums banner
3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jagonz456 
#1 ·
Hi, just want some free advice!

Im new to cycling and have just started riding my brother's Raleigh voyager from Windsor to Woking once a week for leisure. Its a great bike but i think i might do more off-road riding in the future and was thinking of an entry level mtb. I would like to stick to a Raleigh because the voyager is well built and im impressed with its handling even though its not a full off road machine. After researching online, ive decided to go for the raleigh at10 from this website: Raleigh Bikes ::

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about buying bikes online, im not very m,echanically minded, but my brother is, and he reckons i could build and service rthe bike myself and wouldnt need a trained bike mechanic to do the job. So i guess my question is: how easy is it to build a bike thats '85% assembled' (whatever that means!).

your advice would be greatly appreciated,

#2 ·
I have only been biking for seven months or so. I am also no bike mechanic. I will say that I would strongly suggest you ride the bike you plan to own. Also, know someone that IS a bike wrench that can set it up right, adjust it to you, and do regular tune ups. I believe that will keep your riding happly.

#5 ·
For what it's worth- Almost all new bikes from any of the major manufacturers are produced in the same 3 factories (2 in China, 1 in Taiwan). Since the bike brands aren't building their own frames anymore but rather contracting his work out, all major name brands produce bikes of almost identical quality within a given pricepoint. There is no major difference in construction quality between a Specialized and a Raleigh or a Felt and a Trek as long as you are comparing bikes in a similar price and function.

The best advice I can offer is to find a local bike shop that is helpful and friendly to you and buy from whatever brands they sell. Service after the sale is very important unless your brother already owns a full set of bike specific tools for things like truing the wheels, retensioning spokes, replacing bottom brackets, etc. that you will eventually need done to the bike.

Good luck and happy pedaling!

#6 ·
Handsomeryan made a good point. I would like to add that a local bike shop can also make sure you are on a bike that is the proper size for you. You may get lucky and buy the correct size from an online source but you know for sure it is correct if you buy from a bike shop. Having a bike that is the correct size for you makes a world of difference in how it rides.

#9 · (Edited)
bike shop

Since your new to biking you should buy your bike at a bike shop. like everyone else posted its a good idea to get fitted and all your other biking needs from the same bike shop. If its a good bike shop they should give you free tune ups.Most bikes are build in a few factories but they are not the same you should ride everything and see what you like. I have found that Giant and Fuji give you the best bang for your buck versus other companies but thats just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.