Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy a new bike for both racing and century rides. I like the Pinarello Dogma 2 and the Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works and have taken a short test ride on both. Does anyone out there have experience with either of these frames or suggestions for something better?

Thank you

-Bob

·
889 Posts
The Tarmac is not a forgiving ride. Sure it will work great for racing but for comfort... not so much. I tested the Tarmac out but went with a Roubaix because it was still stiff and responsive (but not as much as the Tarmac) but absorbed road vibration better. I'm 38 and in great shape but my back would not like the Tarmac on a long ride.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Bob, one further note on what zero3one just posted. Specialized will be releasing the Roubaix SL4 this year. They have said it is more aggressive than the past iterations (borrowing a lot from the Tarmac), but still is good for long ride comfort. You might want to hold off until you can give one of those a shot. I'm on a Roubaix S-Works SL2 and love it. Though that's not to say I'm not eying the new ones. ;)

Here's some more info on the new Specialized bikes we'll be seeing soon.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/10...yclocross-womens-commuter-bikes-roubaix-disc/

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I agree with the above 2 posters; while the Dogma and Tarmac may look great and are awesome for racing, I think a "plush" road bike would be better.

I was bent on an Allez or Tarmac before my LBS turned me on to the Cannondale Synapse series which fits my daily riding much, much better. It'd be a shame to get a bike and not ride due to geometry/ride characteristics.

·
889 Posts
If I didn't think my wife would kill me, I'd love to buy an SL4 Roubaix!

·
889 Posts
"Oh this new bike? Honey! You look great in those baggy sweatpants and stained hooded sweatshirt! Have you been losing weight? You look beautiful!"

Works like a charm. DAMHIK.:cool:
I'll give it a try. I'll call you up when she kicks me out and I need a place to stay... :D

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Bob,

What's the story on your Colnago? Have you given up on that or is this going to be an N+1 purchase?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have heard from other riders that those Tarmac's are a little harsh on the body, but I havent been on one myself...

IMHO those Pinarello's are the fugliest bikes on the planet, they may ride great I just can't get past how they look with those stays and forks...

Me being a Raleigh guy I would look at the Militis or Revenio carbons, maybe one of the Giant Defy line, Bianchi coast to coast, Fuji SST or Altamira line, Felt F or Z series to name a few..

Good luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciated all the input from this blog, I did get out and try a bunch of bike and in the end the Pinarello Dogma 2 won...why? Because you could not get the smile off of my face with a shovel after riding it! I now have the bike and have done several rides over 50 miles in distance with no issues, I really like it and feel I made the best choice for me this time around.

Black on Black (sounds like a crime)
Sram Red Group
Zipp 404 race day wheels / with a set of Zipp 101's for spinning.

The bike is actually very comfortable for a race frame, not quite as brutal as the SL4 Tarmac (which I really like too).

Thank you for all the input!

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I appreciated all the input from this blog, I did get out and try a bunch of bike and in the end the Pinarello Dogma 2 won...why? Because you could not get the smile off of my face with a shovel after riding it! I now have the bike and have done several rides over 50 miles in distance with no issues, I really like it and feel I made the best choice for me this time around.

Sram Red Group

The bike is actually very comfortable for a race frame, not quite as brutal as the SL4 Tarmac (which I really like too).

Bob
Though I said you should get the Roubaix, the smile comment tells us you made the right choice. Get a pic up so we can oogle over it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

Sram Red Group

Bob
Jealous!!!!:love:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The DOGMA 2 is everything I had hoped for, fast, comfortable, super stiff and responsive to the sprint. I am more than happy with my descision to buy this bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far getting in 80 to 125 miles a week training for events....hurricane down here screwed training schedule this week up though. The bike is superb and made even better with the 404 Zipp's I'm rolling. -Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts