Buying a New Bike - Please help!!

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Fletcher, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Fletcher

Fletcher Guest

I'm looking at buying a "comfort bike". I biked years ago both road and cross country but haven't in eons and it's all lost memory since 2 kids arrived. Due to injury my options are limited on styles (hence the comfort bike) and due to kids my budget is limited too :eek:

Can anyone advise on what I'm looking at? Yep, it's low-end - so any advice, recommendations, alternatives are appreciated. Also, my memory and knowledge of components is limited so help is appreciated. In my past life when I biked I had a trusted friend who helped me select components for my bikes and if they worked and stood up to use that was all I really cared about. Now I'm looking for biking about town and on very basic trails with my toddlers ...

Cheers,
    Fletcher

Thanks in advance for the help. Here's what I'm looking at:

Diamondback Serene comfort bike (around $200 on sale) or the Forge Athena ($250). I know they're both entry level bikes - good for starting out and getting the toddlers out with me. (I hope!!) Can anyone tell me which is a better bike for the $?

Here are the specs on the Athena:
    Frame: 6061 ALUMINUM EASY-MOUNT COMFORT FRAME W/RACK AND FENDER MOUNTS Front Suspension: SPINNER ODESA 700C Wheels Rims: ALLOY 36H CH-18 700C SILVER Hubs: JOYTECH ALLOY 36H Spokes: 14G STAINLESS STEEL Tires: KENDA K-180 700X40C Drivetrain Speed: 21 Shifters: SRAM 3.0 COMFORT GRIP SHIFT Front Derailleur: SRAM 3.0 Rear Derailleur: SRAM 3.0 Cassete: SHIMANO MF-TZ07 Chain: KMC Z51 Pedals: VP-896 RESIN BLACK Components Saddle: GEL INTEGRATED SUSPENSION COMFORT Seat Post: ALLOY 30.8X300MM, SUSPENSION WITH QUICK RELEASE Handlebar: ALLOY ADJUST 30MM RISE Stem: ALLOY ADJUST Grips: VELO FORM Brake Set: TEKTRO ALLOY LINEAR-PULL Extras: CLEAR COAT PAINT FINISH, CATEYE REFLECTOR SET, STORAGE RACK & FENDER MOUNTS, KICK STAND AND OWNERS MANUAL

Here are specs on the Diamondback Serene:
    FrameDB 6061-T6 Heat-Treated Aluminum Laid Back Comfort (LBC) Geometry w/ internal Cable routing, replaceable derailleur Hanger, H2O Bottle Mounts ForkComfort Suspension 50mm travel w/ Alloycrown Rear ShockN/A CranksComfort Compact Alloy w/ chainguard, 22/32/42t Bottom BracketCartridge Type F. DerailleurMicroshift M20 R. DerailleurShimano TX-31 ShifterSunRace TSM-26 light action 7spd Twist Brake LeversPromax Linear w/ reach adj BrakesPromax Linear GearShimano 7spd MegaRange Freewheel (14-34t) Rims32h SSW26, double tunnel alloy TiresKenda Comfort w/ puncture resistant K-shield 26x1.95 PedalsAvenir Comfort Platform HandlebarCustom LBC Riser 62mm StemAlloy Adjustable Quill SeatpostAlloy Suspension 27.2mm SeatAvenir Comfort w/ supersoft foam, coil spring HeadsetThreaded 1 1/8" Colors Prada Sky, Prada Purple ChainThreaded 1 1/8" Hubset(F) 36h Alloy QR (R) 32h Alloy QR Spokes14g Stainless Steel GripsBiologic 3-D Comfort ExtrasOwner's Manual, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, H20 bottle mounts

2. VeloBliss

VeloBliss Guest

I would recommend that you not worry about which is "better" and worry more about which one you enjoy riding more. These bikes are not usually from a bike shop (to my knowledge) and that can mean problems with assembly, so if you can get one from a sporting goods store that has a little bit of a "shop" area, that is probably a better way to go than with one from a more generic department store. Take them for a test ride and at the end of the day, the better bike is going to be the one that encourages you to get on it because you like the experience. Best of luck!

3. Fletcher

Fletcher Guest

Thanks!

I decided to go with the Diamondback. I'm getting it from REI which seems a lot like our co-op at home. I don't usually go the department store route but wanting to stay home with the kids has put a dent in our budget so I've had to shop around. You're right- it's all about getting out and enjoying this time with the kids and both bikes seemed comfortable - I just don't know much about the components to know if one or the other will last better (it's pretty wet riding here through the winter and we plan to be out a fair bit). Decision's finally made. I should get the new bike next week -can't wait to take it out!
    Thanks for the advice!
    Cheers!

4. glens2422

glens2422 New Member

I know you can't beat REI for their return policy so if you are not satisfied you know they will stand behind it. Enjoy your cycling.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

The one you want to ride is the one you should buy. As long as it gets ridden, don't sweat the details.

6. basujanha2610

basujanha2610 Guest

hello!

i am nt very experienced! bt i heard tht Forge Athena is better!

This is my own view!