Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time here, just did a search and this forum looked good.

I,m needing to get a new saddle. I currently have a Specialized Gel Body Geo one, but I realize, now that I,m riding more, I need a better saddle. I,m sure I don,t sit correct on it??

I have been looking at Fizik, but am I a Snake and so on.

looked over at Specialized, a lot of offerings, but not a whole lot of info on how to select.

Also looked at Bontrager, same went.

I don,t conceder myself a lay down type of rider, mostly up, but not up right like riding a motorcycle. But I do know I seem to sit near the back of the saddle, more of a forward type of pusher, than sitting up front and pushing back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, while looking at the Fizik saddles, I notice they do not have the center relief like Specialized. Is there any noticeable pressure??

Thanks,
Ron

·
173 Posts
Welcome aboard. For me, a springer saddle like those in the '60s work for me. I sit more upright due to back problems. There are some excellant riders here with more & better
knowlage than me, that will assist in your quest.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
One guys great saddle is another guys pain in the arse. There is one saddle I've never heard anyone complain about, it's the Selle An-atomica

Also maybe try a saddle with a guarantee in case you don't like it. Or better yet demo a few. I would recommend also Cobb Saddles. They have a 6 month no questions asked return policy. I have tried out two models of his saddles and like them both.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I like my Selle An-atomica, but I will say it takes a lot of ajustment to get it to where it is comfy for you , once there it is like you don't know it is there. Allso I ride a touring bike and I don't ride in the drops, but if you ride in the drops a lot maybe one of the Brooks narower saddles might be the one for you.
my¢¢

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I love my Brooks b17 narrow took about 1500 miles to break in and it keeps getting better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, saddles are very personal. I have a B17 on my road bike, odd choice probably, though I'm considering trying the Brooks Team Classic I got my wife that didn't work out for her. She went through about four saddles to find the right one. It takes time and riding to figure it out. Selle Italia is also a good brand.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I have specific experience with Specialized road saddles. I have had two Toupes and didn't like them. I have test ridden the Romin and liked it a lot. The new Romin Evo looks like it's even better. I bought the Specialized Chicane recently and love everything about it, except the price. The Romin and the Chicane seem to be made for a rider that sits more rearward, though the long and narrower design of the Chicane allows the rider more options. However, it seems like it's made for someone who spends the majority of the time near the back of the saddle. Also, the upturn on the rear of the saddle is supposed to help lessen lower back pain.

My Toupe would hurt my butt after as little as 30 to 40 miles sometimes. So far my longest ride on the Chicane was 110 miles, but I was pain-free.

My local Specialized shop has saddle demos. They are actually labeled from Specialized as "demo" saddles so I would assume that many other Specialized dealers carry them as well. As a starting point, I would say try to demo the Romin Evo or the Chicane.

·
1,355 Posts
I don't like to tell someone else how to spend their money but if it was me I would go with a leather saddle. I have a belt brand saddle that I have been using since 1974. Up until this spring it was on my main ride and then I replaced it with a brooks b17. The leather is pliable and will conform to your gluteal profile for a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like the SanMarco Concor but also like the new Selle Italia Saddle S/i Prolink carbon with ismers (spl)
Nobody can tell you the best for you but you. After a few rides that great saddle will be the one..... or be the one on the shelf.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first saddle I bought was a Performance brand. Hated that thing. Pain and numbness. I bought a Specialized Alias and that was a much better choice for me anyway. I bought a new bike that as a Prologo scratch pro on it. I am not sure I am getting along with this saddle either. I wonder if it possible to tip it forward just a little? I think that would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saddle Up Date

Thanks for the posts!! What I ended up getting was the Fizik Antares Versus saddle. I tried the Arione Versus and found it to be uncomfortable especially the section just behind my boys!! So I went to my Specialized shop, I did not get the Fizik there, and rented their saddles.

First I tried the Romin, OK saddle, but it keeps you in the center due to the dip in it. I was told by the sales guy I won't like it, so I traded it in for the Toupe. NOTE, the rentals are the Expert saddles.

The Toupe is a nice saddle, though I found it to be a little hard, but I figured a gel Toupe would work. The rental is $20 and if you purchase a saddle, it gets applied to it, so I didn't want it to go to waste, so I purchased the Toupe Comp Gel saddle, though I have not used it.

Oh, one other thing, Specialized will measure your sit so you can find the correct width and I came out to be 142 and the guy said that was why I was not comfy on the 130 Arione.

Now since I had the Fizik, and found out about the size, I went back to the place of purchase and told the owner of my issue and asked to exchange for the Antares, which he did.

Have gotten about 100 miles on it and have had no discomfort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts