Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of cadence do other weekend warrior roadies aim for?

Especially others with a "5" in their age.

I'm 70-75 typically, plus or minus. And watching the young/serious riders pass me.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am 65 and 70 t0 75 seams like where I like to be, I am not verry fast but I have a lot of time to get there :D I Hope

·
4,311 Posts
Count bouth feet every stroke for 30 sec. and that is your RPM ;)
Or do what I do look at my Vetta cycle computer. Sped, distance, cadence, hart rate, all there

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
I'm 51 here, Western PA has quite a few nasty hills so at times I drop below on a hard climb but whenever possible shoot for 85 to 90. I also found that if you train with a particular rhythm and calculate the cadence, it becomes so natural you fall right back into the same cadence without counting. I would guess everyone has their own "best" cadence, and at that cadence is your best performance.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
55 years old I use a Polar HRM with a cadence sensor. I usually end up with an average of 85 or so but that takes into account all the coasting so when I'm pedaling it must be a bit over that. My max cadence is usually at or about 120 after a ride.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
120....that's really pumping. Is that something you had to work towards or just what felt natural for you?
Question for you, I found that anything close to a cadence of 100 I sort of bounce on the saddle. Is that something out of adjustment for me? I literally start to bounce off my saddle when hitting that speed, is that a sign of a saddle too high, too low...or is that a problem with technique?

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
You have to have you're bike set up right and then use good pedal techninique. I train spinning all winter and that is a good way to learn how to power all the way around, and get the cadence up. If you pull up hard on the backstroke you are in effect pulling your rump down on the saddle at the same time.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
I think in general most guys (especially middle aged and over) think it is macho to push big gears at low cadence. That won't get you very far on long rides and has been known to damage knees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Count bouth feet every stroke for 30 sec. and that is your RPM ;)
Or do what I do look at my Vetta cycle computer. Sped, distance, cadence, hart rate, all there

How about making it a little easier by counting one foots stroke for 30 seconds and multiplying by 2. Of course its going to be hard doing that and looking at a clock at the same time.

I agree use the computer.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Without having a cadence function on a bike computer, you can only 'rough estimate it'.

Here's what I do:

If my legs are spinning like crazy and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, I'm in too low a gear. If my legs are straining, and my knees are starting to 'talk to me', I'm in too high a gear. There's that magic area in the middle, where your legs feel good, and you're riding along at a clip that makes you feel good to be out on the bike, then you're 'just right'.

·
4,311 Posts
How about making it a little easier by counting one foots stroke for 30 seconds and multiplying by 2. Of course its going to be hard doing that and looking at a clock at the same time.

I agree use the computer.
I don't know why but I found counting bouth feet for 30 sec the easyest befor I got my Vetta.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts