Call me old fashioned...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MixteFiend, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MixteFiend

MixteFiend Master Member

But I love steel frames, friction shifting and bicycle touring.

My name is Jayme, I live in Long Beach, California and I'm a full time bicycle commuter. My boyfriend and I are car free and do anything and everything by bike and/or train. We grocery shop, go to the movies, go to family functions and vacation all by 2 wheels.

I have a small business called Bike Burrito (bicycle tool rolls), I like to restore furniture, I love making sad things happy again. I recently restored a 1980 Univega Mixte into my dream bicycle, she's a beauty.

I recently bought a Brompton M6L and it's my daily commuter. I have an Xtracycle that I use for grocery shopping or larger purchases, a Nishiki Mixte that's used for random around town adventures and my Surly Long Haul Trucker which is used for touring and all around dirty adventures.

I know quite a bit about bikes since I have a live in bicycle mechanic. We're crazy bike people. We don't drive our bikes anywhere, our adventures start from our front door step everyday.

We also have 3 cats that are absolutely insane, but that's another story.

Attached Files:

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Welcome to the site Jayme. I am also a fan of all things steel. All three of my road bikes and two of my mtn bikes are steel. Looks like a pretty nice ride ya got there.

-Scott

3. Keith

Keith New Member

I love the feel of a solid steel frame bike. Currently restoring a Schwinn Varsity right now and it's a hoss weight wise.

4. livendadream

livendadream Guest

aaaaaah! Finally, other people that love that beautiful alloy. The real feel of steel. You weight weenies, carbon fiber junkies and beverage can made frame lovers just don't get it. Steel is the real deal. Can somebody start a steel frame thread???????????:love:J.

5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Welcome to Two Spoke, Jayme, lots of great (and a little crazy people) around here.. fun place.
    DrB

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

That would be great to do everything by bike. Very cool!

7. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Welcome, Jayme! I'll be sure if I go on an epic trip I've planned for next year or so, to go visit your business (if you have a storefront).

Hear Hear for steel! My only bike (right now) is steel frame, and I love it.

8. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

Dig the bike... I checked out your web site Bike Burrito and those are some nice looking products. Nice job. Good luck with it.

9. waldowales

waldowales New Member

My favorite ride is a 1985 Trek 600, steel with all Campagnola components.
    My touring bike is a 1993 Specialized Hardrock, steel, of course.
    I also own 3 steel Schwinns, one 1936 steel Columbia, and a Dahon steel folder.

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi from the Swamp, I have bin thinking of a Steely a Raligh Sojourn ever since my son rode off with my Schwinn Superiour last year. That my grandson is rideing now :thumbsup:. I am not sure if the bar end shifters on the Sojourn will be to my likeing.