Campy 11

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Xela, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Anyone running this? If so, any problems or complaints (other than the fact that each piece seems to have one too many zeros on the price tag). Thinking about starting to upgrade components on the bike. Currently running Record 10s, but they're getting worn. I guess in a way, that's a good thing, because they don't get worn from just sitting there.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Back in my day, ten was the way to go. Two x five...

3. Xela

But this goes to 11. OK, actually 22, but that wouldn't have been a Spinal Tap reference.

4. Industry_Hack

Seeing as how I can get by with but one gear, I'm not impressed by 11. Even with my MTB, I always felt that eight is enough.

5. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Yeah, when I heard Campy was going to 11 I had to look at the calender to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Adding more cogs does little to improve, I think the future lies elsewhere. I don't ever feel that the jumps from one cog to the next are too big with my 12-27 10sp setup. Unfortunately you don't have much choice if you use Campy. It's either 11 or NOS 10.

6. Xela

That's the problem, and it's a little frustrating. I would have no problem going with another 10 speed set-up. In fact, I'd actually prefer it. But if I want a new Record group, it's 11 or nothing.

Like the Look, by the way. :thumbsup: I had a 585 and 595. Currently selling the 595. Was a super bike, I just couldn't ever get comfortable with the geometry.

7. Industry_Hack

The answer is simple.

SRAM.

8. Xela

Can't do it, Man. Love my Campy. Have ridden SRAM on a friend's bike, and, still love my Campy!

9. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Electronic.

Those push button electric shifters/derailleurs are sharp.

If money were no object...:D

10. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

lighter

campy super record is also lightet.

I agree, go with Di2. the electric shifting feels great. The front derailleur knows what gear the rear derailleur is in, so it can adjust it self so your chain doesnt rub on the inside of the front derailleur. It is amazing to watch the front, just move a bit once you have shifted. This means that you never have to deal with cross chain noise. also, Di2, shifts really fast.

On the other hand, Sram Red, is just amazing. simple as that. (lance uses it, so it has to be good, haha)

11. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

Buy the 11, use it and you will love it. Same as with any other gruppo you like.

I am not fond of having to carry extra batteries around in case my shifters don't work -- ;)

12. Industry_Hack

Di2 strikes me as really silly. I read where a motorcycle racer explained that no motorcyclist can ever realize the true performance of the machine, that the rider will always be the weakest link.

I hope that's not where bikes are heading. Like Zipp explaining that their new wheels can save you a few seconds on a 20 mile TT. Yawn. This may explain my bias against road racing.

13. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

While I agree, the riders that have used the stuff in races claim they will never be without it. So there must be something good in the technology.

14. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

what works

The question I have is what will do you the most good. I used to work for a fellow who was the coach for the US. National team back in the day. He said and I quote "bikes do not win races". Technology is a neat thing but unless you are changing something that will make a real difference all its doing is wasting your money. the difference between a nine ten or eleven speed bike is marginal at best. At worst the chain has to be so skinny that you only get a few hundred miles out of it.
    The switch to a servomotor derailleur is a mistake in my opinion. Why not make bicycles as complicated as possible? Much like the Idea of the integrated headset, if your headset starts to wear you have to replace the frame. Now you can guarantee that after a year or two your derailleur will quit working. The word planned obsolesces come to mind. I guess the idea is almost like the ski industry, make bikes a fashion statement so unless your using this years cool stuff your just not worth it. Lets judge a rider on the quality of his equipment not on the skills as a rider.

Just a thought

Mike Frye-the bike guy

15. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

The bicycle way...

Biking is an Elitist sport, always has been. At least at the high end. Sponsors saw to that.

If you are not riding Ti or cf and look like a clown in team garb. Go home.:p

I run.
    We are having this same discussion now in running.
    A CC coach in Carolina, this year announced that if you, the runner/racer, is not running a marathon in 3 hours or less. you are wasting everyones time and more importantly wasting the limited resources involved.

He can kiss my arse!
    I pay my way, both monetarily and physically.

Biking is much more entrenched in this elitist crap.

16. chh55

[quote
    Biking is much more entrenched in this elitist crap.[/quote]

Yeah! Ain't it great!

I willingly admit to being duped although I don't have megaloads of disposible cash to lay on my hobby. Still I manage to put together some amazing bikes anyway. Cruising ebay internationally and bagging the odd item here and there for a good price... I have a lot of fun but everything has to be top shelf! And then I get to ride my creations together with my like-minded buddies... what could be better?
    I add my voice to those who don't want bikes to become what cars are like nowadays. My Volvo is an '89... too new! I'd rather have a '86... why? less electronics... I like to do my own repairs. When you open the hood of a new car... forget it! It would be a shame if bikes went the same route but unfortunately it seems inevitable. Case in point Di2

17. chh55

I got Ti... I got CF.... I wear... hey wait a minute...RU saying that I look like a clown? :hate: