campy shifter

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by chibibike, Mar 30, 2011.

1. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I'm thinking about getting a 9 or 10 speed campy shifter. I hear you can make some 10 speed shifters work with 9 speed cassettes using the alternative cable method but will it work with the campy shifters? Even if I were to get a 9 speed shifter will that brand work with my new shimano RD and my cassette? I just don't wanna get all matching parts if I don't have to.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm not aware of Campagnolo making a flat bar shifter.

3. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Why on Earth would you NOT want all matching parts that are made to work with each other???

4. chibibike

chibibike Banned

Well if my existing stuff will work why not just leave it alone? It saves time and money. I am not the type to care about having all matching stuff as long as it works. I hear a lot of these things work the same way. I just wanna know for sure that there won't be any problems if I get some campy shifters. I'd like to go 10 speed shifters since i'll be getting 10 speed drivetrain down the road and for now I can do that alternative cable method that bike guy says but these a guy selling 9 speed campy shifters in DC for 50 bucks so i wouldn't mind getting those either but just wanna know if even the 9 campys will work with shimano RD. I just don't know if this brand has a real diff pull from the Shimano brands that would make it necessary for campy cassette and derailurs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. Industry_Hack

Money shouldn't be a concern for you. You've bought the wrong bike, and insist on trying to convert it into the right one at probably double the cost, if not more.

And it's not going to work. Shimano, Campy and SRAM all have some measure of proprietary design. While it might be possible to mix and match, performance will suffer. Of course, my first road bike was a mix of Campagnolo, Sachs Huret, and some Shimano, and it all worked beautifully.

6. chibibike

chibibike Banned

well then since you had a good experience with mixed stuff then can it work or not? If not, not big deal I'll just get shinamo shifters but I just thought it would easy to pick these campy ones up from this guy since I'll be in DC all weekend anyways. He just got them to put on his bike but ended up getting a whole new bike so he said he'll give me an 44cm FSA handlebar with the campy shifters and new cables/housing for $50.

7. chibibike

chibibike Banned

but my cassette is sram it came like that though, i donno if that matters what the cassette brand is... i wouldn't think so. i read on a lot of places including the sheldon site that the newer shimano RDs will work with almost any shifters... I think that's what i read.

8. Industry_Hack

I think your frame is too heavy.

9. chibibike

chibibike Banned

well I would have gladly gotten a diff bike if they made the kind i was looking for but they don't so I gotta make it myself. Is it a shamful thing to not be satisfied with a stock bike?

10. chibibike

chibibike Banned

yeah it's a little on the heavy side compaired to a road bike but it's not like i go uphill much. I mainly go on flat ground and slight hills. right now my whole bike is at 30lbs. it feels good though.

11. Industry_Hack

Seriously? My tandem weighed 38. And that was with a 5" fork up front. My current road bike weighs 18.

It's not that there's anything wrong with changing around parts on your bike. But in your case, you bought a completely inappropriate bike, and now you insist on making a complete mess out of it. Buy a road bike already.

12. Garilia

Garilia New Member

I'm not sure a road bike is what she wants. I'm not sure what she wants. I also get the feeling she is not sure what she wants, and is trying out different things as she finds them to see what she wants. But that's just my interpretation of things based on the several threads that address her desired upgrades.

13. chibibike

chibibike Banned

If I buy a road bike right now i'd only take it out when I ride to work maybe. Why spend 1,000 or more on something I'd use so infrequently? I rather spend more money on my one i have that I'd use for everything.

14. Garilia

Garilia New Member

I guess the question is when making a mixed use bike, do you start with a beefier bike and make it lighter (which is what you seem to be doing), or bulk up a lighter bike? For some of what you're doing, I would have gone with a cyclocross or trekking bike such as the Trek 520 or the Trek Portland.

Of course if you are willing to look at bike brands other than Trek, you could find something cheaper that does the same job as the 520 or Portland, made by companies like Surly and Salsa.

15. chibibike

chibibike Banned

16. Industry_Hack

Get the Performance house brand ones. You'll be another $350 into your drivetrain before adding a chain, cassette, and either crankset or chainrings. Plus you'll get a zero performance gain. Sounds like a great idea.

Tell us again what's wrong with your current setup?

17. chibibike

chibibike Banned

how will I get a zero gain if I have larger chainring? doesn't people who race like to have the larger ones? so there must be something to it. Nothing is wrong with my current set up I just want the the ability to go faster I may not have the stregth do it now or for very long but why not have it ready?

18. Industry_Hack

How many miles have you ridden in the past 12 months?

19. chibibike

chibibike Banned

ummm well I just got the bike in early Feb. prolly about 100 since then. but that doesn't matter I want what i want even know it's premature I still like to know I have a well equipped bike for future wants and things.