Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my name is Zach and I'm the new guy. I'm just getting started in the world of vintage bikes... I like old things with wheels :) Anyway, I've got an August '66 Schwinn Collegiate, all original. It's my first bike, at least my first as an adult! It's got the skinny 1 1/4" tires on it, and I was wondering if I can stuff something fatter on the original rims? 1 3/4"? 2"? I'd like a little better ride quality, and I just like fat tires ;)

·
173 Posts
Welcome aboard GTV! I have a May '77 Collegiate with the skinny S6 tires also. From what i've been told there are not any drop in
modern wheels. Have to mod frame on some, I've been told. Any way I like this Chicago bike. Good luck and enjoy a classic ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!
I'm not looking to change the wheels, just the tires. From what I've seen, the S-6 rims are 1 3/8" wide(?), and the tires are 1 1/4". Coming from the world of custom cars, I'm not at all hip with having narrower tires than wheels. I've got enough room for 1 3/4" tires for sure, but 2" might be pushing it. My only concern now is the larger tire seating on the rim, will it be ok?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
You can stuff a 27 x 1 3/4 tire on a rim designed for 1 1/4. Problem is finding a quality tire of that size. Kenda might make a 1 3/8 tire but it's very low quality and I don't think their being made anymore. If you stay with the current 1 1/4 you have quite a selection of tires for that size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts