Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering can you ride a road bike on crushed stone path? I have 23c tires i always ride on paved roads but i was checking out new bike paths on google and i found a few crush stone paths and i was wondering if it possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why would they make a 70 mile bike path out of material that bikes can't ride on thats not very smart. This is so sad i have a great bike path right next to my house but i can't ride it. Oh well maybe I should go out and buy a cross cycle lol

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That's definitely more of a hybrid/MTB path. I'd even guess that they designed it with the crushed rock for two reasons - one, it's much more natural looking, and two, it keeps speed down.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
You can ride a bike on any surface. I prefer really big stones. I did manage to rip a 2.5" tire completly off the front wheel of my Rocky last year, but I had a hell of a good time doing it!:D

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
That is why I tell the wife I have 3 bikes, thay are like tools, you nead the right bike for type of rideing you are going to do. I am still thinking about getting that single speed. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had trouble finding "street" tires for my mtn. bike because of the 26" rims. had to settle for lightweight 1.5" tires.
My wife's bike has 35c tires on 700 rims. They're fine for streets, but would be a little skinny for trails. Maybe on a really well packed trail, but if I were trail riding I'd stick the 2.25" tires back on my bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cross bike

I spoke to my local bike shop about having a second set of wheels to ride on different roads and at the end of the conversation I have decided i need a cross bike. so I still haven't road my New road bike and now i am shopping for a close out on a cross bike. there is a bike rental place near the start of the path i think i will rent a couple of hybrid bikes just to see how the trail is. Its a 70 miles trail each way so i don't think a mountain bike is going to make it.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
That is why I tell the wife I have 3 bikes, thay are like tools, you nead the right bike for type of rideing you are going to do. I am still thinking about getting that single speed. :D
I have 8, that's why I'm divorced.;)

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
i don't think i would be ok riding a mountain bike for 70miles
Sure you would, get a bike that is fit properly for you and you should have no problem. Heck there are competitions out there for the MTB that are 100 miles. Set it up for you and ride like the wind.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The wife don't care about what I buy allmost any bike is cheeper than the race car.
I rode my Jamis Explorer 2.0 62 miles it has 26 x 1.95 tires I don't see what the problum is. I would ride the Quick 6 on a stone path and that has 700 c 38 tires. I think thear is more than 1 way to get down that path.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i don't think i would be ok riding a mountain bike for 70miles
Sure you can, I've done it lots of times. Although it's not a hardcore mtn bike with rear suspension and all. It's a hardtail with lightweight hydroformed hardtail frame. Then modified with lighter tires.

I'd think the bigger decision would be wheather to get a bike with either 700 or 26" rims. There just aren't any off road tires available for 700 wheels. Plus a mtn bike has a better seating position for off road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts