Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I have an extra pair of Sh-Mt33l Shimano spd shoes. Is it ok if I use it for platform pedals. I use one pair of shoes + cleats with my road bike. I wanted to use the other pair for my commuter( platform pedals). My main concern is, would the platform pedals spoil or damage the sole of the Shimano shoes. Image is as under.

Attachments

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
I a have similar pair. I'd think you would be fine as long as you don't have the cleat installed on the shoes. But, like any shoes, you will wear them down by use eventually.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually my sports shoes, tend to eat away at the contact points with the pedal teeth. So just a concern, since I would not like to spoil a good shoe. Since my usage of these shoes are mainly for cycling and absolute nil walking , I do not foresee a lot of wear. thanks for replying.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The soles are probably made of a more durable material (durometer?) than the sports shoes you have used but a metal cage pedal will wear the sole. Depending on the pedal, you might get 5000 miles out of the shoes. Another kind of shoe will hold up less well though and bike shoes aren't on average more expensive than other types of shoes, plus the stiffer sole will enhance efficiency. In short, that shoe is designed for bicycling, with or without cleats. That's why there is an insert where the cleat would go, so you can use the shoe for exactly what you are proposing! Go for it!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Most cyclist prefer metal vs. plastic cage, especially for wet weather. I've found plastic pedals acceptable for my use, but prefer clipless pedal systems. I have not tried them, but Ergon pedals might be the best platform pedal out there. I'm not sure how rough the grippy part is, but I guess it will wear shoes less than metal cage pedals, as well as perhaps improving feel/efficiency (ergonomics?).
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depends on which platform pedals you use, there are some which use straps to hold the shoes in position, they wont damage your soles but those pedals are not usable if you stop a lot and/or don't have a minumum of three wheels

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
If those shoes are totally flat soled, you should have no problem using them with any platform pedals. I would suggest, however, that you put some set-screws in the cleat holders so that you don't mess up the thread or remove the cleat holders altogether.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Did you get the shoes atlantis? How are they holding up?

Are you thinking about pedals? You can get pedals with clipless mechanism on one side and platform on the other, if you wish to use with a variety of shoes.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If those shoes are totally flat soled, you should have no problem using them with any platform pedals. I would suggest, however, that you put some set-screws in the cleat holders so that you don't mess up the thread or remove the cleat holders altogether.
Recreational bike shoes often come with a tread that must be removed before installing cleats. The cleat mounting area/threads are protected by this tread. In this case the tread is held in place with screws. In many cases the tread must be cut out with a knife.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you get the shoes atlantis? How are they holding up?

Are you thinking about pedals? You can get pedals with clipless mechanism on one side and platform on the other, if you wish to use with a variety of shoes.
Actually I had the shoes from before. Ride experience was not too good. The alloy platform pedals I was using were nice and grippy for running shoes but for these particular shimanos they were constantly slipping.
Honest I did not get the confidence to ride with these shoes on normal platforms.
As of now I am just using normal sports shoes for the platforms and clipless for spds.
Personally I prefer both side clipless pedals since clipping in and out is far more simpler. The dual sided i feel are a compromise. Just my two cents.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Recreational bike shoes often come with a tread that must be removed before installing cleats. The cleat mounting area/threads are protected by this tread. In this case the tread is held in place with screws. In many cases the tread must be cut out with a knife.
You are correct. After looking at the photo of the shoe again, I did see where they are covered and are screwed in and those are not the cleat studs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts