Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
717 Posts
here are the questions, the blogger was yelled at "get a car...":

I am left with 2 questions with this. First, why did he assume I do not have a car? I ride a recumbent. I am not some homeless person who rides one of the cheap big box store bikes the homeless shelter offers. Although I was riding within blocks of the Gospel Mission homeless shelter. I have rather fairly expensive bike and equipment on it and my person. My helmet, bike cloths, bike sandals, clip less pedals, Camel Bak water system, seat bag, even my cell phone which serves as my mp3 player and battery powered speakers are not cheap. My bike alone cost $1,100 when I bought it 10 years ago. Today it would cost between $1,800 and $2,000 to replace just the bike.

The second question is: Why does he assume I cannot afford a car? My wife and I have and have only ever needed one car. We only buy new cars when we replace one we have had for a while. We replace our motor vehicle about every 5 to 10 years.

OK, I also have a third question: I wonder if this idiot driver knows what the word assume is an

·
717 Posts
maybe he is ashamed of his carbon footprint.....nah, he's just an a$$

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well what ever the reason even though someone already posted most of the text from the blog, here it is in its entirety:

"GET A CAR *******!!!" is what a motorist yelled at me today when I was riding. I was on West 7th St heading east.

I have never had anyone yell this at me. Typically it is "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!!!", or "GET ON THE BIKE PATH!!!", etc.

West 7th Street is a 4 lane undivided roadway with a posted speed limit of 30 mph. It is a near downtown west side commercial area of Sioux City and is used as a through way for people to travel from the west side to the downtown area.

The driver was in a black Cadillac Escalade half truck half Stupidly Useless Vehicle, or suv. This area of Iowa is nothing like LA, New York, Chicago or cities like it where vehicles like this are more common and typically has more of a usefulness than they would here. When people here drive vehicles like the one this jackass motorist was driving it is a symbol of materialism and status and nothing more.

I was riding in the right half of the right lane, where I was LEGALLY supposed to be riding. He, as far as I know, was never in my lane and did not have to wait for traffic that was directly behind me to get over to safely pass me. He was in the left lane and never had to slow down for anything. My reaction was I yelled: "THANK YOU!!!" and waived at him. As he passed he sped up and was over the speed limit.

I am left with 2 questions with this. First, why did he assume I do not have a car? I ride a recumbent. I am not some homeless person who rides one of the cheap big box store bikes the homeless shelter offers. Although I was riding within blocks of the Gospel Mission homeless shelter. I have rather fairly expensive bike and equipment on it and my person. My helmet, bike cloths, bike sandals, clip less pedals, Camel Bak water system, seat bag, even my cell phone which serves as my mp3 player and battery powered speakers are not cheap. My bike alone cost $1,100 when I bought it 10 years ago. Today it would cost between $1,800 and $2,000 to replace just the bike.

The second question is: Why does he assume I cannot afford a car? My wife and I have and have only ever needed one car. We only buy new cars when we replace one we have had for a while. We replace our motor vehicle about every 5 to 10 years.

OK, I also have a third question: I wonder if this idiot driver knows what the word assume is an acronym for?

If anyone can answer at least the first 2 questions I'd appreciate it.
What answers do you have for the first 2 questions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
well ... it was Iowa.. I live in Alberta Canada. It's north of Montana very hick lots of farmers and slaughterhouses. Barely anyone drives a car much less ride a bike. This is SUV and big truck country. The attitude is very much the same :(

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Same reason that the same idiots yell, "Get a job" when they see someone walking down the side of the road. They're stupid ******** with nothing better to do.

You're giving them way more credit than they deserve. They simply saw you on a bicycle, yelled at you, laughed, took another drink of PBR and continued down the road.

As our friend Rola would say... HTFU :)

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have 3 questions after an incident with a motorist. I am looking for an answer to the first 2. Can someone shed some light and try to answer them?

You'll find the questions here:
"GET A CAR A**HOLE!!!"

Thanks.
Several years ago, I attended a free monthly concert in Downtown St. Petersburg, Fl. I would "sit" in the street with other concert goers. One time there were a couple of guys who were sitting on the sidewalk, far enough away that I couldn't hear them because of the music and ambient noise level.

One of them comes over to me, and tells me how his friend had assumed that I was homeless. I guess because I had my bike along side of me, it is an '05 Hardrock. His friend points out several things about the bike and the way that I was dressed that said that I wasn't homeless, they were:

a) the bike itself
b) the pedals (Crank Brother Eggbeaters)
c) the pannier bags
d) the kit that I was wearing
e) the helmet that could be seen hanging from my handlebars

He and I had a good laugh at his friend for assuming that I was homeless. So who knows why people assume the things that they do.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
The answer to all three is that he got trolled in real time! LOL!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
1) He assumed you didn't own a car because you were clearly in possession of a superior mode of transportation and thus had no need or desire for an automobile.

2) This question is based on an obviously false assumption. If he thought you could not afford to purchase a a car, surely he would not have advised you to do so.

3) "OK, I also have a third question: I wonder if this idiot driver knows what the word assume is an acronym for?"

This would be easier to answer if it was in the form of a question. Perhaps the answer is yes you do wonder about that.

Assume can't be an acronym for a single word. It would be an acronym for a six word phrase if I understand the meaning of the word acronym.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
What is so "offensive" about that word? Most of the sites that I go to do not filter it out. Shouldn't URL's be exempt from filtering? So as to prevent broken links?
There's no option to only allow it in links. One of the reasons it gets filtered is because if Dean let people post profanity, search engines would look unkindly on the site.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Same reason that the same idiots yell, "Get a job" when they see someone walking down the side of the road. They're stupid ******** with nothing better to do.

You're giving them way more credit than they deserve. They simply saw you on a bicycle, yelled at you, laughed, took another drink of PBR and continued down the road.

As our friend Rola would say... HTFU :)
Hey! I take GREAT offense to that, what's wrong with ******** and PBR- it's the Champagne of beer for us ******** right? :cool: Wait maybe that's 4Loco :eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
The answer to all three is that he got trolled in real time! LOL!

I don't care who you are that's some funnnneee sheeet right there!( said in my best southern ******* voice)

·
Registered
313 Posts
There's no option to only allow it in links. One of the reasons it gets filtered is because if Dean let people post profanity, search engines would look unkindly on the site.
The irony though is that a lot of those "offensive" words that get filtered out, is that they are nowadays used in childrens programing. Hopefully the next person who wants to post a URL that has a word that is filtered they'll run it through TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL first so that it won't contain any "dirty" words.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts