Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase, in bulk, some high quality whey protein off the internet. What brand names are considered high quality? Thanks!

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Nigal, I just finished a container of that (GNC) and was considering the same from Walmart. GNC is expensive and a good drive, unless I'm going to be close for something else, and was wondering what the "real" difference would be?

What is the difference between whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate?

First of all both concentrate and isolate are made using the same ultra filtration technology. However during the process of ultra filtration it is possible to vary the amount of filtration units the whey passes through. By varying the time of processing and filtration units it is possible to make concentrates 75-85% and isolates 90%+ protein.

The whey protein isolate takes longer to produce because it requires more time and extra filtration. During which, nearly all fat and lactose are removed.

The typical specifications for a protein isolate are:

Protein 90%
Fat 0.5%
Lactose 0.5%

The typical specifications for a high quality protein concentrate are:

Protein 80-85%%
Fat 5-8%
Lactose 4-10%

Walmart stuff

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder, Cookies N' Creme*2 lbs (907 g)
100% Premium Whey Protein
Over 7 grams of BCAAs*
Crystalline Taurine
Lean Mass Activators*
Glutamine

Or GNC brand

GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein, Vanilla*5 lb
Natural Source of BCAA
20 Grams of High-Quality Protein Source
Quick Dissolving, Easy-to-Mix

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a heads-up, the Body Fortress Super Advanced Protein contains creatine, which is nice for recovery but the body will develop a dependence on it and performance without it won't be at its peak.

The Walmart here also stocks Six Star Pro Nutrition Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus. This is:
-$18-20 for 2 pounds
-26 grams of protein per scoop with BCAA's
-difficult to dissolve with a spoon, better tasting when mixed within milk
-comes in Triple Chocolate, Triple Chocolate Milkshake, and Vanilla

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Little, the last thing I need is another substance that my body would become dependent(ant?) on. Are you sure about that ? I don't have any real knowledge about creatine but I had never heard that before. Sounds like the few extra bux for the GNC would be worth it in that regard.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,568 Posts
And always ALWAYS stay away from the mixes that have high fructose corn syrup in them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@ rola643: Yea, I'm sure. I used it for a few months because it was the cheapest walmart offered; I performed better when I used it, but without it I built up lactic acid in the muscle group being used much faster than i would have if I had never used creatine. Creatine is, traditionally, a natural substance that one's body produces to help eliminate lactic acid that fuels, and builds up within, a muscle that doesn't have enough oxygen. Companies now mass produce synthetic creatine which acts in the same fashion, but causes the body to reduce its own production of the phosphate -- much like how "uppers" eventually reduce the body's endorphines.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,568 Posts
Personally, even though I have used it, I think the entire supplement industry is a load of horse ****. I mean, Gatorade has crap for before you perform, during your activity and after your activity. And they make it out to be as if you can't do anything without them.

personally, I don't care how damn hard core you think you are there is nothing you need that nature hasn't already provided. Eat natural, play and **** the rest of the bull crap.

·
Bringing up the rear!
66 Posts
Personally, even though I have used it, I think the entire supplement industry is a load of horse ****. I mean, Gatorade has crap for before you perform, during your activity and after your activity. And they make it out to be as if you can't do anything without them.

personally, I don't care how damn hard core you think you are there is nothing you need that nature hasn't already provided. Eat natural, play and **** the rest of the bull crap.
I couldn't agree more. Most cyclists take in too much protein anyway. Cyclists need most of their calories from carbs. Just eat right and you won't need this other stuff.

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
I was in a GNC store today and picked up two different kinds. 1. Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein and 2. Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. And along the lines of what Nigal was saying I try not to even take aspirin for aches and pains, totally changed my diet and exercise habits and stay as natural as I can. I do tend to believe, like modern medicine and things like antibiotics that aid the body in recovery , there are benefits that can be had by adding the right things to your routine. Don't think everyone feels the same and that's good!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,568 Posts
Oh there is a point in which relying on science is needed for sure. I simply get irritated by this culture of extreme we seem to live with, especially concerning cycling. The American marketing and advertising industry has turned us into a bunch of water bottle carrying narcissists. LOL!

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
I couldn't agree more Nigal! I was sure someone would point out the fact that due to our pill popping society we continually need new drugs as virus, and disease become more drug resistant strains and even new strains as we just saw with the E. Coli outbreak going on in Germany.

I'm not sure which is worse the marketing world telling us we HAVE to have this and that, or the news and media and a lot of the reporting we get now hyping the smallest sh*& and won't let it go and the reality shows... blah blah blah blah, sorry stepping back off of my soap box and back to reality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts