Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experencing a clicking sound every time I start to pedal my bike and I have no idea what is causing it. I would try taking the crank case appart and see whats going on inside but I would like to know more about how to take appart a crank case before I start trying to. Its a bit of a risk but I want to solve this problem without having to spend over $60 at a bike shop on replacement parts and repairs first. From what I know its not the front derailur causing it so I figure it has to be a bering or something. But I want advice from someone with experence before I do something wrong and make things worse so bike repair experts pease help.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just a few ideas to check to help you maybe locate it. First thing to do is to get the rear wheel off the ground and spin the crank. Does the click still happen??? If it doesn't click then, it may not be in the crank. Are the pedals always in the same position when the click happens? One of the first things I check is the seat. Often the shift of the body weight can create a noise if the seat isn't tight. Look up under the seat for screws and bolts that might not be tight. If its a full suspension mountain bike, check for places in the suspension that might be creaking as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Bikes have crank cases? Or does he mean crank arm or bottom bracket?

Does the OP use clip less pedals and shoes/cleats? What type? SPD, LOOK, TIME, etc.?

When you pedal, does it only happen when you pedal harder, with more force, torque or weight put into the pedaling? Or does it make a difference?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am talking about the area in witch all the berings are housed in between the crank arms. I think it might be a bad berring so I am trying my luck by taking my crank system appart and taking a peak inside. I dont think its weight orme pedaling harder because I try to go easy on my bike. In case you are wondering I use a 2011 schwinn tourist with 24 speeds. But its the usual three gears on the crank and the usual 8 gears for the rear sproket cogs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am talking about the area in witch all the berings are housed in between the crank arms. I think it might be a bad berring so I am trying my luck by taking my crank system appart and taking a peak inside. I dont think its weight orme pedaling harder because I try to go easy on my bike. In case you are wondering I use a 2011 schwinn tourist with 24 speeds. But its the usual three gears on the crank and the usual 8 gears for the rear sproket cogs.
That is called the bottom bracket. Depending on how old your bike is, the newer bottom brackets of today are one piece units that are designed to be disposed of once they wear out and replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts