Car Efficiency

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by skunky, Jun 20, 2009.

1. skunky

skunky Guest

I was wondering if anyone is planning on trying to get an electric car...

also, is a kit where you simply replace your engine with a kit based thing made to work on many cars (you buy the kit and then you get your car attachment based on car type???) is this a feasible idea?

I also was wondering anyone's thoughts on cities where there is tons of traffic and then they reduce the speeds... doesn't this force the cars to make smog longer and reduce the car's efficiency by slowing them down or is 60 the average efficiency level?

2. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

55-60mph should get you the best fuel efficiancy on average. Most cars are made and geared that way.

As for the rest of that. I can't help ya.

3. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

yeah, going slow would cause more emissions as its inefficient going that slow. the reason why going very fast isn't efficient is b/c there is more drag/friction at those speeds and like stated above, gearing.

i've never heard of kits, but electric cars are successful in cities. i think the zen car (built in BC) is mainly sold in argintina or brazil, where they have thousands sold.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  4. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

If I visit BC for a week for vacation, and manage to hit up some trails and stuff, I'll definitely rent an electric car!

I want one with a good average miles per charge that I can use as a DD, so I can use my Jeep for just long distance, bike trips and trails.

5. jsbarks

jsbarks Guest

I get from 33-35mpg city25%(~30mph) hwy75% (70mph)

Instead of electric, I have been looking at hydrogen

see hydromaxkicksgas.com

Someone I ran across and he told me he can reduce up to 30% of my fuel needed

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I have been looking at the Tesla. The only thing I haven't found is the required electricity to recharge one. Will it cost as much in electricity as it would to get a good economy car and pay for the fuel.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

The Tesla Roadster gets the equivalent of 200+ MPG. It only costs about 3 bucks to charge the battery and has a range of over 200 miles.

8. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Actually I am looking at the model s you can get it with a 300 mile range and it sells for $49,900 compared to the roadsters $101,500.