Career Crossroads

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Roadhouse, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

I'm stuck. I work hvac. Very recently begun to think after 10 years in the field (as an installer mainly so still ignorant in many, many ways) I'll finally start hvac school and now that it actually might be happening I'm having second thoughts as I'm not certain any longer. I'm not so enthused thinking that that'll be where I'll be or better yet who I'll be 10 years down the road, an "hvac professional".

This isn't just people on the internet but even my now and current boss, I'm beginning to look down on him as an hvac contractor in general. I'm not certain if this is hvac or myself but I think that I'm beginning to see the possiblilities of my future self in a much brighter and different light although even in this new light where hvac as a career is just not going to be good enough, I don't know what else to do or which direction I'd take. I'm not too young, almost mid 30's, and whatever I do I'd be starting from scratch...which is scarey.

Anyone else been in this position? How'd you handle it and how'd you know what to do, which direction to take?

Go for a century and figure it out then? :) (probably is what I need to do in all honesty, it's been too long)

Roadhouse.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Well Roadhouse you have to be happy with what you are doing whatever it is. If you don't like what you are doing not much else matters. I don't see what's wrong with HVAC. I know when mine is broke and it's 95 out I have a "guy" and he's Johnny on the spot and takes care of me when other shops tell me a week to be out ! You HAVE to be dependable and honest and those have to be equal parts. Part of that is knowing what you are doing and being good at it.

Carreer choices are difficult. I'm older than you and still don't know what I want to do. I turned a wrench for a loooong time and didn't like working for the general public...they always know better than you what's wrong :)

Go to the school, learn all you can and learn it well. Once you have the knowledge nobody can take that from you. You know what they say " Knowledge is power and power is knowledge" Having said that school and more education will never hurt ! Time and money and money and time will always be a problem but you will have to make time and sacrifice money.

Not much help am I ? Good luck and maybe for now stick with what you know and be happy you have a job :)

3. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

You made some very valid and reasonable points. It's not the work as as I enjoy it immensely and always honestly have, it's more the people involved in the trade. I don't see much maturity or intellect, even the smallest of the smallest words being written properly rarely happens and that bugs the heck out of me and I feel as if the deeper I get into it the more I'll be associated with the "crowd".

On the other hand, it shouldn't really be too hard to make myself stand out as being much more professional in that case.

I can see it now: Customer to me - "What makes you better than the others, why is your cost $500 more than so and so?"

Me to customer - "Check their spelling, compare it to mine, and then tell me who you think will pay more attention to the job at hand."

He he. Yeah, just needed to vent so thanks. I'm honestly looking forward to finally going to school.

4. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Careers

I agree that you should continue to be YOUR best, do not worry about the crowd. Quality will always come to the top, be patient and soldier on. Get all the education you can afford, ignorance is very expensive. Best of luck

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I think it would be best to go ahead and get you HVAC schooling, then decide what you want to do from there. There are not a lot of fields hiring right now, whatever you choose, make sure there are openings in the field.

6. tomk

tomk Member

Hey Roadhouse -
    You'll never regret getting the training and aspiring to the highest level of professionalism you can achieve. Even if you change careers later the commitment that you make now will be noted and appreciated. And who knows, maybe you will be "the boss" of your own firm one day and can be an example for your own employees?

Hang in there and good luck!

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I agree with these guys.

Get your degree, then make your decision.

8. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

Very sound advice and pretty much what I needed to see and hear at this cross roads time of mine so thanks everyone. I think I know what to do and I'm feeling good about it again, going to school.

Cheers.

9. TxCyclist

Congrats on your decision, I hope it works out.

10. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

It should pay off. Commercial refrigeration after I'm done with hvacr class is where I'm heading overall. That and I'd like to try and work overseas for a year, maybe more. Jump start that income!

11. TxCyclist

Does the HVAC license apply to other countries, or do you have to be specialized in that country?

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Would you recommend HVAC? I'm about to be unemployed I think, I've been wanting to change fields for some time.

We could just swap? Ever run a restaurant?