Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been threatening to get a trailer and today, after hauling six bags of groceries home in the bags and rack I'm read to pull the trigger. I had thought it'd be cool to build one but when I did the cost vs. time vs. mechanical abillities it is best that just buy one.

I'm a man of constant compromise and after looking at the B.O.B.s and burley Nomads i wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on something that narrow in their uses. I've settled on the Croozer Cargo Trailer. It's fair sized, covered, of medium weight @ 25 lbs., has a carrying cap of 60 lbs., can be used for grocery getting and light touring. I found them for $159 at Bike Nashbar.

is anyone else using a trailer? Input?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the looks of the single wheel trailers because they seem like they would track better and you don't have the overhang of the two wheeled trailers. i'm interested in seeing your impressions of that trailer. In particular the center of gravity and versatility.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if you could let me know how it would be if pulled by a YikeBike please. thanks!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! Yeah I check in from time to time and see what's going on.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I'm a man of constant compromise and after looking at the B.O.B.s and burley Nomads i wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on something that narrow in their uses. I've settled on the Croozer Cargo Trailer. It's fair sized, covered, of medium weight @ 25 lbs., has a carrying cap of 60 lbs., can be used for grocery getting and light touring. I found them for $159 at Bike Nashbar.

is anyone else using a trailer? Input?
I have a BOB and, years ago, used a two wheeled Cannondale Bugger, which is no longer in production.

I've never tried a Croozer, so can't comment on things like workmanship and durability. But from the picture, it looks like a pretty nice trailer for the money, especially if it's going to be used mostly for utility hauling.

How does it attach to the bike?

The 25lb weight is heavy for a bike trailer, but it shouldn't bother you much unless you have to ride a lot of hills.

The other trailers you mentioned are half the weight, but cost about two times what the Croozer does.
Bob Yak weight: 13 lbs 8 oz ; capacity 70 lbs; cost: $329
Burley Nomad weight: 14 lbs 8 oz; capacity: 100 lbs; cost: $349

To me, two wheeled trailers are easier to handle off the bike and easier attach to the bike than single wheelers. Two wheelers also seem less sensitive to unbalanced loading than single wheelers.

You are right about single wheel trailers tracking better. The're not subject to wheels that drop off the edge of the road, or snag on things if you ride too close.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It attaches to the left side near the drop[ outs. I had looked at the single wheel trailers but had concerns for how loads needed to be carried with a lower center of gravity. I'm looking for the big compromise on cost, weight and usage. I'm looking for a grocery getter that can also do some weekend touring. This thing has to be hell for wind resistance but again, it's a good compromise. Many of the cargo trailers I was looking at were 30+ pounds so the 25 lbs won't break me.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got up this morning and stumbled my way into the den and sitting in the middle of the floor was my Croozer Cargo Trailer; two full days early of my birthday. It's sunny today and the next four days will be rain so my wife gave it to me early.

My first impressions are good. There were durability issues in some of the reviews with stitching of the nylon cover but I didn't see any yet. It hooked up to the bike very easily and all hardware looks very solid. When pulling it empty I barely noticed it except for the loss of maybe 1-2mph off my average. There was no swaying and no push/pull. I loaded a week's worth of groceries in it which included a case of water, 12 pk of soda and meat, dairy and veg for a week. Now I DID feel it back there. I had maybe 30-40 pounds in it and getting up to speed was more of an effort but once at speed it was not hard to keep it there. Stopping with a load concerned me because the brakes on my Raleigh Clubman are more of a "suggestion" than they are breaks. It did fine though.

Because it's square and covered it does catch the wind a bit. I'm going to load it with my camping kit and food and go for a day ride soon to see how it handles the open road.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
converted kiddie trailer. Strap on a large rubbermaid tote when needed. good for 100lbs and was under $30.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got some pics of my new trailer after a trip to the store.

Case of water for size comparison.

Weeks worth of groceries. About 50-60 lbs.

Hitch to quick release.

The wheels feel like the heaviest part of the whole thing. 20" I think.

With the cover on it.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Finally got some pics of my new trailer after a trip to the store.

Case of water for size comparison.

Weeks worth of groceries. About 50-60 lbs.

Hitch to quick release.

The wheels feel like the heaviest part of the whole thing. 20" I think.

With the cover on it.

NICE!!! Man get you a flag and some blinkies on that thing!!! Very nice,I have been wanting to get one but after have a childs trailer it had a lot of,as you described "push/pull"to it so that scared me away a little.How is the push/pull with a load???

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NICE!!! Man get you a flag and some blinkies on that thing!!! Very nice,I have been wanting to get one but after have a childs trailer it had a lot of,as you described "push/pull"to it so that scared me away a little.How is the push/pull with a load???
No flag and I do have a blinky for it. The push/pull isn't too bad unless I have it completely loaded down and even then it's not bad. The hitch uses a spring as to be flexible and it seems to help in that respect.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Kool.I found a single track trailer on sale at nashbar for $79...seriously thinking of getting it,cant beat the price.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always hate the guy who always sh*ts on other's points but...did you read the reviews? At $79 it's not much to lose though and if you're handy you could reinforce the trouble spots others have pointed out.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
I always hate the guy who always sh*ts on other's points but...did you read the reviews? At $79 it's not much to lose though and if you're handy you could reinforce the trouble spots others have pointed out.
LOL,Yes you can $hit on my points,haha!!! Well I did read them,and what I seen was the trailing arm(s) were weak on the older models,but the newer ones were made differently where it connects to the bike...Maybe I misread it or misunderstood but from what I see the ones they currrently sell are a little diferent? But perhaps I am mistaken,what else was there wrong with this one Nigal?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL,Yes you can $hit on my points,haha!!! Well I did read them,and what I seen was the trailing arm(s) were weak on the older models,but the newer ones were made differently where it connects to the bike...Maybe I misread it or misunderstood but from what I see the ones they currrently sell are a little diferent? But perhaps I am mistaken,what else was there wrong with this one Nigal?
They must have improved them. OK, have at it and get one. Just be sure to give us a full review. Now, where's the toilet paper?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts