Carmichael Training DVDs--Climbing

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Xela, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I recently bought the 3 new Climbing Series DVDs from Carmichael Training Systems. Over the past few years, I have bought and used Climbing 1 and Climbing 2 from them as well.

I finally did one of the new 3 tonight, and thought I'd start a review of them. I will update this as I try each.

Tonight I did Climbing Strength. It was approximately 1hr 4min. It was a 10 minute warm-up with 2 minutes of max effort and 1 minute of 100-110 rpms. After that the workout was 4 sessions of 7 minute hill simulations at lactic threshold with 1 min at 80 to 85 rpm, 1 minute at 90-95, 1 minute 100+ rpm, 30 seconds standing at 70-75 rpm, then repeat this same 3:30 minute sequence. There is about a 6 minute break between each of the 7 minute intervals. At the end, there is a 8 minute cool down.

The production quality is great. The intervals are clearly explained. The breaking of the climbing intervals with changes every 1 minute helped the time seem to pass more quickly. In addition, there are lots of other climbing, racing and nutrition tips from Carmichael thrown in during the rest/recovery intervals.

Overall, I was very pleased with this workout. I will review the others as I use them.

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Does the video get pretty monotonous after awhile or did you keep your interest?

3. Xela

I could see after doing it several times it might, but the training tips throughout helped. Also, since the longer intervals are broken up with cadence changes that you have to stay prepared for, those did not get monotonous either.

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Thanks for the reviews. I downloaded a few of CTS videos from their website, and I am planning on getting this series early next year, so the reviews are much appreciated.

5. Xela

Cool! Glad it helped.

Here's the one for Climbing Power. The coach leading the workout said these intervals are a very tough workout, and I agree.

This video started off with the same warm-up. The main work-out was 6 sets of 2 minute power intervals at 100%+ of your field test heart rate at 85 to 95 rpms. For me this meant 2 minutes of 183 to 185 bpm heart-rate. Very tough, especially with only 2 minutes of recovery between. After this set, you went into 4 sets of 2.5 minute intervals at Climbing Repeat range with the last 30 seconds being all out.

This video was much tougher for me than Climbing Strength. Dean asked earlier if I thought they would get monotonous. I definitely don't think this one would, as the two minutes all-out are pure suffering, and the rest between never seems to be long enough.

Again, the production quality is great, and there are lots of climbing tips thrown throughout by the coach and by Carmichael.

By the way, I didn't mention this earlier, but each DVD has the field test work-out included that lets you determine your power and/or heart-rate ranges.

I was going to the Climbing Speed tonight, but... Anyway, I'll write up a review of it after I do it.

6. Xela

I did Speed tonight. That sounds bad. I mean I did Climbing Speed tonight. It was approximately 64 minutes total. Very tough. I think the hardest of the three with Power being a close second. Carmichael even described this workout as "tough" and would "crush" even experienced cyclists. I agree and was glad to hear him say that, because it was whipping me.

This video seemed to concentrate on preparing you for pace and pitch changes during climbs.

The warm-up was the same. The main intervals were 2, 8 minute over/under sets where you spend 1 min at lactic threshhold/climbing repeat range, then the next you go above that, then repeat for the 8 minutes. It made the climbing repeat range intervals, which are usually tough in their own right, seem like a recovery period.

After these two sets were "descending intervals." These weren't anything to do with skills for descents. They were max efforts for 2 minutes with 2 minute recovery, 1:45 with equal recovery, and 1:30 with equal recovery. There was a 4 minute break then repeated.

The legs felt more sore during this workout than the others as you were spending a lot of time above your lactic threshold and at max effort. Carmichael said not to do this workout more than 3 times per week and the instructor recommended only 2.

It's hard to imagine this workout ever getting boring, as the intervals are extremely intensive. Also, the rest periods seem too short, so no boredom there.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with all of the videos in this series. I think they'll really help me come out of the winter pretty strong.

Here's the link to the videos.

Carmichael Training Systems:

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Very good reviews....I appreciate the detail. You had me pretty much hooked with the first video but I see how how the entire series would be very beneficial.

8. Xela

Thanks, man! Glad it helped.

As one other afterward, I do find the Strength to be considerably easier than the other ones. It could be a personal thing, but the longer intervals at just under LT are easier for me that the shorter, higher intensity intervals. I find I can do the strength videos two days in a row, but definitely need a rest/easy spin day after the Speed or Power.

Now if only I could get rid of this sore throat/cold, I'm anxious to get back at 'em.