Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie on an incredible high, while riding my bike.....but....I've been dismounting and walking my new bike over the cattle guards, when riding close to home. Is this necessary or am I just a protective Mother of her new bike.

·
173 Posts
IMO, that is called self preservation. Better to be safe than crash & be sorry. Most
cattle guards I've been around it is easy to break a leg just walking across them.

·
Jay
35 Posts
I hit some diagonal railroad tracks, caught a wheel and crashed, breaking my femur and collarbone. I would probably walk my bike over cattle guards at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch! I can't afford any wrecks. 10 months since two total knee replacements. I'll be walking my bike over train tracks also.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you do try them, make sure you hit them at a 90 degree angle and go directly across them. Some are worse than others, but if you hit them at an angle like I hit my driveway pavement a while back you will have the same results. You will go down and I am still nursing a sore wrist as a result. When its forecast to be 107 today, I would not be riding any way. Add one more to the walk them is best

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's safe if you approach them perpendicular, as mentioned above. But walk them if it's more comfortable for you.

·
242 Posts
for the first few weeks of riding I walked across streets train tracks and anything that was not smooth shoot I had a hard time with speed bumps but I've had one knee replacement so I'm extra carful also but now tracks are fine and I can ride up in to the driveway where that little dip scared the crap out of me but now I ride over just about everything but I would not ride over a cattle grade I don't even like riding on payment that is being resurfaced..
how are your knees doing? i'm thinking about having the second one done but not sure yet

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
I had to google what cattle guards even are. Where would one ride that they wold have to worry about them? I'm not being a smart a** I just honestly don't know. They look like something I would only see at a farm. Is this what we are talking about :

Cattle grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some paved roads in Texas have them in the country where roads go throuugh peoples property.
This.

I see a lot of them as I live in Texas and I am out in the country. The only rode in and out goes through ones property as well.

·
173 Posts
Most are built of heavy pipe spaced 2 to 4 inches apart & welded on a metal frame. It
is then set across the roadway in dug out space deep enough to bring to of pipe to road surface level. Very few live stock will try to walk on it. Have watched 2 in my 66yr that
could walk on top of pipe, most hooves slip of into the open space causing them to back
up & look for a different route. Most guards are 6 to 8 ft. wide & rougher than a cob when you drive across them. Haven't seen many in the eastern U.S., lots of them in the S.W. U.S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was the original poster on Cattle Guards. We live in the Country, almost, right on the ID, OR, WA borders, near the mouth of Hells Canyon. Anyway, I have to haul my road bike 8 miles to the pavement. Cattle Guards are used as "gates" for livestock, that you can drive over. In our area, it's "open range", meaning cattle can hang around in the road if they choose. Most ranchers have fenced their rangeland but these cattle guards still exsist, which makes it a pain for me.lol I still continue to get off and walk my bike over them....two riding down river, same two riding back up river. Guess it teaches me to "clip in" faster and gives me an opportunity to get a drink. I believe these cattle guards are maintained by the County. I wonder if the County would weld a wider strip across them, so I and other cyclists could pass over these safely. Won't hurt to ask. :eek:)

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
I was the original poster on Cattle Guards. We live in the Country, almost, right on the ID, OR, WA borders, near the mouth of Hells Canyon. Anyway, I have to haul my road bike 8 miles to the pavement. Cattle Guards are used as "gates" for livestock, that you can drive over. In our area, it's "open range", meaning cattle can hang around in the road if they choose. Most ranchers have fenced their rangeland but these cattle guards still exsist, which makes it a pain for me.lol I still continue to get off and walk my bike over them....two riding down river, same two riding back up river. Guess it teaches me to "clip in" faster and gives me an opportunity to get a drink. I believe these cattle guards are maintained by the County. I wonder if the County would weld a wider strip across them, so I and other cyclists could pass over these safely. Won't hurt to ask. :eek:)
I purty sure i aint ridn over'm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride over them. Just make sure not only the angle is right, but just like on a mountain bike, stand up and lean back over the saddle.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you hit the angle right its usually not a problem. The wider the gap, the rougher though and if guys stayed in the saddle, they would have no more kids. They can be really rough. Just be careful

1 - 19 of 19 Posts