Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got caught mid ride yesterday by a refreshing shower. Rain has been rather scarce this year. Wanted to see what it would be like, so a brief shower wasn't going to be a stop to the ride. Been more then 50 years since I last rode a bike in less then ideal weather. Then, it was on an American Standard bike with wide tires and fenders.

Wondered how I and the bike would handle the rain. Riding a Schwinn 700 with 138 tires. Keep them pumped up at 80 psig. Rain had little effect on road traction but painted lines were more slippery. Choose to avoid puddles and go with center of lane whenever possible to have slightly less slick roadway. The route I ride has some heavy truck traffic and you can see a visual difference between center and outer areas of a lane.

The beginning of the ride was at 87 degrees with high humidity. The rain felt good but I mentally slowed my speed down some till I got use to the small changes in how the bike handled. All in all, the rain was a refresher on the ride and wasn't a great hindrance. Glad I had sun glasses on. Think I'll treat them with Rain X before another ride in the rain. Did end up with a dirt stripe down the back of my shirt. So long as the temperatures aren't too low, I'd ride in the rain again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well you did much more than I would, Possumpoint. I'd like to tell you I'm working on my aversion to riding in the rain, but that'd be a lie. We need the rain here, too, but frankly I'm enjoying the dry spell.

Good idea with the Rain X. And I hope your shirt comes clean! Or you can just make it your rain riding shirt since you're not one to let bad weather keep you off the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you did much more than I would, Possumpoint. I'd like to tell you I'm working on my aversion to riding in the rain, but that'd be a lie. We need the rain here, too, but frankly I'm enjoying the dry spell.

Good idea with the Rain X. And I hope your shirt comes clean! Or you can just make it your rain riding shirt since you're not one to let bad weather keep you off the bike. :thumbsup:
Shirt came clean and was ready for today's ride. Hot and humid, kinda wished it rained again.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Had a similar experience but it rained hard for the last mile. I was more concerned about the bike than my washable self. Hey, a new experience but I'll continue to check radar before going out. Warm makes a difference for sure. I got to know the bike a little better just by cleaning it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Had a similar experience but it rained hard for the last mile. I was more concerned about the bike than my washable self. Hey, a new experience but I'll continue to check radar before going out. Warm makes a difference for sure. I got to know the bike a little better just by cleaning it.
If I had to get caught in the rain, I'd prefer it to be warm, too, Andy. I gave my bike a good cleaning yesterday, too. They're interesting machines for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I have ridden in the rain numerous times. Its best to wash your bike as soon as you get home before the crud dry's.

I will ride in the rain from April to October. The other 5 months I will ride in light snow flurries but not in the rain.

There again it depends on how hard it is raining when I set out. If it is pouring I will stay home. Light showers and I am out the door.

Having a winter beater is the best bet. I use mine in all foul weather conditions year round.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I have a full "breatheable rain suit" but only use it if it's POURING. FYI, I don't think wise to use Rain-X on plastic, seem I remember a warning about that, could be wrong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happen again right at the end of a long ride in high humidity. A blessing from heaven. Wasn't a hard rain either. Wasn't raining at the house when I got there so my wife was surprised at me being soaking wet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts