C'dale Lefty wheelsets

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wallydude, Jul 28, 2009.

1. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Hello,

I would like feedback on any Lefty compatible wheelsets that one may have experience with. My Rush has the stock Mavic XM117 wheels and I am looking to replace them. I have read and heard that the wheels are one of the most important upgrades that can be made to a bike so I would like to give it a try with the hope of not being disappointed. I have seen online the new Mavic Crosstrail wheelset that I feel are at a reasonable price...the SLR wheel are much nicer but 1K...just can't see spending that much when not a racer. Any feedback received would be appreciated.

2. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Stay away from Mavic wheelsets.
    They make decent rims, and it's hard for any company to screw up a front hub, but their rear hubs are absolute poop.

Use your Lefty hub and relace up whatever wheelset you want. Maybe with a Hope ProII or King rear hub, laced to Syncros DS28 (or Halo Freedom Discs, same thing).
    Would be XC light and DH strong, and still cheaper than buying another company's proprietary Leftybuilt wheelset.

Largest thing you'll notice is swapping out your rear hub to something with more engagement points, unless you are strictly road riding.

3. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Thanks, for your response zahgurim.

I will do some research when I arrive at my new duty station in terms of local bike shops and their capabilities. It worries me that I could get a poorly built wheel by someone who thinks they can do a good job just so they (the shop) are pulling in $. I surely do not want to attempt a wheel build myself.

Thanks, again.