Two Spoke Forums banner

Is cell phone use acceptable while riding?

• Totally fine by me

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Acceptable if you're not shouting

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Tolerable if you're courteous and brief

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Unacceptable while riding, dismount and go away

Votes: 15 62.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to the grocery before heading home so, being a man of the 21st century, I put my bluetooth over my ear and phoned my girlfriend to see what was needed.

About the time I asked how we were on milk, a middle aged man on a very nice Specialized MTB decided that we did, in fact, need milk, so he told me to pick some up.

To put this into context, I was on a 'greenway' trail, a paved trail reserved for bicyclists and pedestrians. I frequently use this trail as a way to get to the dirt trails.
To me, it falls into the same category as a road. For this guy, it seems I was stepping on his toes by having a conversation on my cell. Which I can sympathize with but...

What's your opinion on cell phone use while riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally, after the little encounter with a fellow rider, I won't get on my cell until I'm either back on the roads or on a more secluded section of trail.

I actually appreciate the guy letting me know he thought I was being rude, however, I do feel that the greenway is a public space, and unless someone is shouting or otherwise causing danger, talking on a cell is equivalent to talking to a person who is next to you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I feel the same way about phones on bikes as I do on phones and driving. If you have the capability, knock yourself out; if not, than pick one or the other. How do you know if you have the capability to ride a bike and talk on the phone? Simple. Do you remember what happened on your ride while you were on the phone? If not than you were probably paying too much attention to your conversation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think it's okay. As long as you can safely ride and talk at the same time. I think most people cannot do this, though. Look at how awful people drive while talking, even on a bluetooth. If you find yourself questioning if that light was really green, you cannot SAFELY do this.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I think a cell call on a bike is just like a cell call in a car ... it's distracted driving. If no one is around, the only one likely to be hurt is yourself, go do what you want. If others are around, as on a busy MUP or on a road in traffic, your distraction is a hazard to others.

If I need to make/take a call on a bike, I'll stop. I have answered calls while driving the car, but ask the caller to wait til I can pull off the road before engaging in a conversation, even if that means calling them back in 5 or 10 mins.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The problem is, you're on a bluetooth. I talk to people all of the time that I think are talking to me, only to have them turn their head and then I see their Borg aural implant blinking blue light at me.

Bluetooth things are a scourge on the planet and must be destroyed when they are used around other people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I look at cellphones like ipods. Dont use while riding, its just another distraction and more noise, if I want noise I have a great stereo in my car..

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A phone for me is not the distraction that it is for many. I learned a long time ago to prioritize and two magic words work every time. Stand by. I learned because it was a part of the training that most don't get. I would talk briefly on the cell in the car, but not on the bike. Why?? No protection and if there is a problem, I am the one that will take the fall without the structure of any type of vehicle to provide any protection. On a bike, what ever I hit, I hit with my body and that is reason enough to leave the cell phone off.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
Why ruin the ride by talking to someone on your phone? I don't get the idea of mounting the darn thing on the handlebars either to use as a cyclo-computer. Put the darn thing away and enjoy the ride. The text/call/email can wait :)

As far as they guy who was bothered by your call - tell him to get his own milk.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The problem is, you're on a bluetooth. I talk to people all of the time that I think are talking to me, only to have them turn their head and then I see their Borg aural implant blinking blue light at me.

Bluetooth things are a scourge on the planet and must be destroyed when they are used around other people.
I agree, a few weeks back I was cut off by a driver who had his bluetooth device plugged into his ear and was oblivious to everything around him. He didn't if I remember correctly didn't even come to a full stop at the stop sign. He just pulls into the intersection, cutting me off. I used my best DI voice and called out a loud "HEY!!!" stopping him dead in his track and his head snaps around looking to see who was yelling at him or what had happened.

This particular three way intersection could have very easily dumped is sorry arse into the bay. Eventually about a mile or so down the road he finally pulls over to finish his call.

I look at cellphones like iPods. Don't use while riding, its just another distraction and more noise, if I want noise I have a great stereo in my car..
Agreed, if I have to listen to my iPod while riding, I do so by plugging it into only one ear. Not owning a car, I don't have the option listening to "my" car stereo isn't an option.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's no more acceptable than using a cell phone while driving. As cyclist we not only have the same rights but the same responsibilities as motorist.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Cell phone use while traveling (even on FEET! the exception would be while being DRIVEN, as in bus, taxi, limo, etc.) is a big negative. Most people, even ones who THINK THEY CAN, are largely unable to fragment their awareness properly to multitask like that. There are even studies recently published that suggest it's pretty much impossible to multitask unless one of the things you're doing takes a more passive sort of focus (like chewing gum).

I don't for one second believe that someone's schedule is SO CROWDED that they have to do this; just friggin' stop to talk, FFS!

Cell phones are a convenience; when you INconvenience ME by using it, you are abusing the privilege.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had people call me while they where using the restroom. I tell them to call back when they are finished and hang up.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
Ditto on the restroom thing.

My firm won't allow us to use a cell phone while driving on company business. I stop riding when I need to make a call on my bike, for the same reasons.

·
242 Posts
I think if i had a Bluetooth it would be ok.. but I do know this... for a long time I kept my phone in my bra yea i said it .. but after riding a few hundred miles over time the sweat caused the charging port to corrode and fall off. well that cost me $100 ( could have bought a used road bike with that money ) I didn't have to replace it. so now it stays in the saddle bag and when ever i stop i check it .. because I never hear it ring.. I I can't hardly walk and chew bubble gum at the same time so no i do not ride and talk because lord knows both hands must stay on the handle bars at all times or I shall fall flat on my face/butt/ knee/ elbow... all at the same time :)

·
tall old member
1,322 Posts
I was riding my bike one day when my wife called. I answered the phone and she asked why I was breathing so hard, were you outside. I said yes I'm outside, I just came up a hill. She said "Are you on the bike". I said yes and she said "don't talk on the phone while riding your bike". I told her I wasn't the one who made the call. Lol, some people.

·
Registered
461 Posts
etiquette for these is:
turn the damn thing off,
let VM take all calls!
get home, deal with it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts