Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to do my first century (106 miles) this summer. I know the areas I'll be riding in, though not necessarily all the roads. I'll ride solo as I usually do and have plotted a course around my city so I'm never much more than 20 miles away. I have already purchased 2 Clif bars and 3 packets of goo. Despite the obvious nutrition and hydration requirements, is there anything I should know or consider before embarking?

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
It may sound crazy but when I ride that long I have a tendency not to move enough. I have to remember to move or I end up with somewhat of a stiff neck and sometimes my shoulders get sore, I get lazy and lean forward. I have to set a timer on my Garmin to drink enough as well, crazy simple stuff always gets me :) One last thing, the mental part..just say'n. I'm sure others will have plenty of good input.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I like doing an out and back rather than a circular route. That way I'm committed and can't bail. Take some cash in case ya have to stop and actually eat a meal.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Have fun. I am sure it will be a good ride and you will look back on it some day. Sun Block don,t forget the Sun Block.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I hope to be ready for my first one this fall. I'm thinking about having my wife drop me off a hundred miles from the house. That should provide the motivation to finish.

Since I haven't done one I have no advise to offer. From what i've heard though, just take your time and enjoy the ride.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
cadence... a century is about spinning and little else. for me food and hydration is the hardest part. on a non organized ride it is hard for me to carry enough of either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. I hadn't thought to keep moving to avoid stiffnes; that is something I'm glad was mentioned. Taking cash along should also prove beneficial. I already have my base tan for this year so I won't need sun block. My motivation is pride and bragging rights, so stopping before the end isn't an option because it creates an incredibly pathetic tale. I don;'t want to go home and say "So... I did a century yesterday. Well, actually, I was trying to do a cenury until I burned out at mile 73 and couldn't finish"

·
717 Posts
^^ tell them you were going for a metric and felt so strong you just kept going...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
No one in the US knows what a metric century is anyway. The few that do won't tell. Better to bail on a ride today, than to push attempting to finish an arbitrary goal that could just as easily be reached in two weeks, and get hurt in the process and be off the bike for two months.

The century is one of my goals too, but it will happen when it happens. If worse comes to worse and people start hounding me about when I am going to do it, I can always come up with a story. Yet I am a little concerned. I think the Texas state legislature was considering making it a crime to lie about the size of your fish. Granted it was in relation to some of those fishing tourney's where big money is involved, but what's the world coming to if you can't always catch a whale.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
If ya feel like giving up just stop and get off the bike for 15 minutes. Makes a world of difference.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
i was about to post that it was 62 miles.... but xela beat me to it with the actual number. if you do not care about the decimal i can teach you an easy math conversion... kinda like multiplying by nine... subtract one from the number being multiplied then find what added to it equals nine... example 3x9 3-1=2+7=9... 3x9=27

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm married to an engineer. I can relate. As far as anyone knowing, well unless they are here or he happens to find Sprocket Girls twin, well lets just say the odds are in your favor they won't know.

The last time I did a home improvement project, the wife gave me a measurement to cut that was to the 16th of an inch and then added long. I'm supposed to cut that accurately with a blade that is probably an 1/8th of an inch wide. I didn't get upset, but I did ask where the CNC machine was to cut it with? Then I was in trouble for a while.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Engineers don't have 'inner nerds'. They're all on the outside. LOL!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I knew a metric century was between 60 and 65 miles, but thanks for the precision. I'll probably let my foolish juvenile pride get in the way and only stop long enough to refill my water bottles and possibly buy another bar or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts