Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
speedfan
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed to ceramic bearings? If so, what brand is prefered? price versus value?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I just bought a set of Campy wheels with ceramic bearings in the hubs. Let me say they are phenomenal. The are unbelievably smooth. This little experience with ceramics has me wanting more. So, if you decide to get some, let me know what you get and what you think as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quiet rolling

I'm not so much interested in less friction as in quiet rolling. My first bike, an old, cheap Peugeot, purchased for $65 at a consignment shop, is so quiet I would frequently come up behind walkers on the local bike path and pass before they knew I was there. The new bike, which now has new wheels with Ultegra hubs is, by comparison, somewhat noisy. I expected quieter, not noisier. Ceramic may be worth the cost just to improve stealthy cycling. Actually, come to think of it, I have no idea what ceramic bearings go for.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
From a performance standpoint, my view of the benefits of ceramics is that it is strictly placebo. Now if you are going from a piece of junk worn out component to a new ceramic component then yeah, you're going to be like "wow". But spend half the money and go for a high quality Japanese bearing and you will be just as happy, especially with the extra money in your pocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts