Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can with my Campy, it's quite often the case that as I run out of low gears in the big ring, I'll dump the rear cassette 3 or 4 gears while simultaneously shifting the front to the small ring. I'd say once out of every 15 to 20 times, this caused my chain to overshift and fall off on the inside. Since I'm usually doing this as a hill gets steeper, it's a most inopportune time to have to either shift the chain back to the big ring to get it back on, or even worse, stop.

Last week, I got one of these at the suggestion of the mechanic at my LBS. Ever since, I've been purposely trying to drop the chain and it hasn't happened once. I'm loving it, and, though I think 40 bucks is pretty steep for a thin piece of aluminum, I'm really glad I bought one. I bet A. Schleck would have paid a lot more for one of those back in 2010.

They make them for mountain and cross bikes as well, but I've only used and seen the road version.

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-edge-chain-catchers/road/road-braze-on-chain-catcher.html

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I was at my favorite BS today and had on in my hand as I drooled over the Domane and the 5.9 with the Di2 sitting next to it. I don;t think it was the K-Edge tho. That was one of the benefits of the new SRAM front derailuer setup: Integrated chain spotter protects your frame without adding any extra clunk, and adjusts independently of the derailleur itself

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Ok...but why did you spend so much money on something so simple? It's so simple there's several of these sort of things on the market for less then $15! See: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...+Watcher&vendorCode=THIRDEYE&major=1&minor=40
At $9.95, that is a great price but they could have come up with a nicer mounting system than a hose clamp. I guess that would be OK on a mountain bike or a hybrid, but I would rather spend a little extra money when it comes to accessories for my carbon road bike. That may be anal, but that's just me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts