Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean my drive chain. Can anyone recommend a good chain/cog de-greasing cleaning agent, pre oiling and lubricating. I have heard or read somewhere that WD40 is harmful to the chain. Also is there a cheap household cleaner I can use as opposed to the expensive dedicated bike chain de-greasers.
Thanx

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
From one of the pro team mechanics and now for the life of me I can't remember, keep it simple. Use Dish soap on a sponge rinse well and lube :D WD-40 is good to use to clean the chain and not as a lube.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dish washing soap!!! now that makes sense with its cutting through grease qualities, excellent, thanx for that Rola

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Any kind of de greaser will work for cleaning the chain. I have never tried, but will in a few minutes gunk the engine degreaser. Usually I use simple green. It works, its cheap and rinses easier than dish washing liquid for me. WD 40 is a great solvent, but its not a lub. Make sure that once you have cleaned the chain you re oil it well with a quality bike chain oil. Yeah I used 10 30 motor oil as a kid, but back then we tore up a bike before we wore out a bike. Use the right stuff and your chain will repay you with a longer life and more trouble free service.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
My favorite dish soap to use is Dawn. It takes grease out of your way. 8)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I use White Lightning, as per the instructions, saturate chain, wipe thoroughly, repeat until the chain is clean (once or twice, depending on how dirty the chain was to begin with).

I clean cogs and rings occasionally with a Park Tool cog brush, no solvent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts