Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is around 1 1/2 months old and has about 175 miles on it since I left the shop. The first several rides were very smooth as far as shifting goes ( Other than my learning curve ).

The last 3 rides I have dropped my chain when shifting from the big chainring to the small one.:mad: I'm assuming I need to get my cables adjusted and maybe my derailleur.

I am taking it to the shop tommorrow for my free adjustment and have them show me exactly what they do and why. Are there any suggestions for what else I may do or ask about?

Thanks,

Hazy

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sounds like it is time for the free adjustment. As you stated you are taking it in to have that done. This is common on brand new bikes. It can also happen when you have a chain replaced, especially if shift cables are replaced with it.

It is good to ask questions. If your shop is anything like mine they would rather you ask questions than assume things.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
New cables stretch, that's normal. They should check the shifters and brakes. If they're any good, they'll also check your headset and bottom bracket, and give it a once-over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't remember the name or the website, but there is a plastic clamp for the seat post with a protruding ear, if you will, that forces the chain back onto the smallest chainring if it slips off.

You may want to Google this.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cables were stretched, and derailleur adjusted. The guy showed me what he was doing as well as what/how to look for. He actually did give the bike, what looked like to me, a good once over after the obvious problems were fixed.

I bought the bike I did based quite a bit on the service received before the sale, and promised/expected after the sale. So far they have lived up to their end of the deal.

For someone like me who is not very knowledgeable (yet) about the mechanics and care needed to PROPERLY maintain a bicycle, a good and reliable LBS is just as much a part of the investment as the bike is.

Hazy

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
Cables were stretched, and derailleur adjusted. The guy showed me what he was doing as well as what/how to look for. He actually did give the bike, what looked like to me, a good once over after the obvious problems were fixed.

I bought the bike I did based quite a bit on the service received before the sale, and promised/expected after the sale. So far they have lived up to their end of the deal.

For someone like me who is not very knowledgeable (yet) about the mechanics and care needed to PROPERLY maintain a bicycle, a good and reliable LBS is just as much a part of the investment as the bike is.

Hazy
i agree with Hack, well said. your prize is the respect of your fellow cyclists.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That and you get a cheaper shop rate.

Years ago I saw on a sign on the wall of a service station.

Shop Labor Rate $40 and hour

If you watch $60 an hour

If you tried to fix it first $100 and hour

Some mistakes can actually be far more costly than paying to have it done right first.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Not really looking for a prize just a hint of sarcasm :rolleyes:

Hazy

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
When I was a mechanic having "walmart" bike owners watch you was the worst. Because the most used tools were our huffy tool kit consisting of a hammer, mallet, and large file.

Down to earth customers were cool though. If there was time and the customer seemed interested we would explain pretty thoroughly what we did. Fixing bikes is more of an art than a science anyway, knowing what to do isn't enough. Practice helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts