Chain lube

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Oct 14, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have bin useing T9 chain lube it goes on thin and gets thicker , maybe too thick for this weather, it is down in the low 50s and getting colder. So I ask you what do you use for chain lube and do you go to something different in colder weather.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Unless viscosity is an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about how thick or thin it is. More importantly, do you get a lot of rain? If so, how does it hold up in wet weather?

3. Michigander

Michigander Member

I use full synthetic motor oil, unless I'm planning on seeing a lot of mud (I really hate mud) and in that case I'll spend the money on white lightning, or bum some off of someone else.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've been using Rock & Roll Extreme (blue) lube for the better part of a year now. In addition to lubing your chain it also cleans it and helps to keep it clean. This will be the first winter I've used it, so we'll see how it works over the next few months. So far, it's worked fine from the low 40's up to 100°F.

This stuff can be kinda hard to find. Due to popular demand, my LBS is now carrying it, but if you can't find it around and want to give it a try, here's their website: Rock"N"Roll Lubrication ... the King of Lubes

5. Industry_Hack

6. frisbeestan

frisbeestan Guest

What about using industrial lube they use for gears inside of electronics thats really slippery and white?

7. Industry_Hack

Would you use it with your girlfriend?

8. hophead

I've found that Astroglide works well in the winter. The propylene glycol helps to prevent ice from forming on the chain (and crank).

9. wild

Well I thaught the T9 was making the chain feel stif and maybe a little slow. I don't ride in hard rain as I can pick any time I want to ride. The new chain thay put on the bike seams to have a non thickining lube. I like to lube the chain every 100 miles or so, I brush it wipe it with wd40 on a rag and lube every link bouth sides to make sure it gets between the plates not just on the roolers. then I wipe it down after 30 minutes

10. Industry_Hack

WD40 is not for your chain. Ever.

11. wild

I should have bin more clear I use the WD40 to remove buildup befor useing a chain lube like T9. Are you saying I should not use it for cleaning the chain befor lubeing it. I can see where it might dilute the chain lube from its resado.

12. Industry_Hack

Unless you dry it completely, you're leaving WD40 on your chain, and it's going to dissolve your lube. When you wipe it down, you're only removing external dirt, which doesn't wear your chain anyway.

13. Michigander

Michigander Member

If you want cheap degreaser, rather than WD40, it's much better to use equally cheap and available carb and choke cleaner or less toxic and a little less effective brake clean.

14. Industry_Hack

You'd want something that evaporates completely. But it shouldn't be required on a regular basis if your chain is properly lubed.

15. Michigander

Michigander Member

That depends on whether or not your state is a water world mud hell. :(

16. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

what about cleaning with brake cleaner and then using a lube?

17. hophead

Brake cleaner works. I used to do that before I switched over to R&R lube.

18. Don

Don NC Road Biker

how often should one lube there chain?Thanks

19. hophead

Depends on riding conditions, distance ridden, and type of lube. I used to lube my chain before every ride, but I can go 2 or 3 rides usually before I start to hear the telltale sounds of lack-o-lube.

20. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

When i clean my chain, i use a mixture of deisel/oil in a ratio of 75/25. The deisel cleans the chain while the oil lubricates it.